Force 120 Stator Question

MikeyB3649

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1992 Force 120 and there is no spark. I pulled the wires from the stator and ohmed the coils. Red to red/white reads ~109 ohms. Yellow to yellow reads ~0.02 ohms. Blue to blue/white reads infinity (OL). I'm 99.999999% this means bad stator but I just wanted to check with some more "seasoned" members and get your thought. I checked the wiring leading into the stator as far as I could without removing the flywheel and can't find a break. My question is has anyone ever had sucess in finding a pulled out wire at the input to the coil and simply resoldering it?

Thanks,
Mike

maxum_man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Force 120 Stator Question

Stator should have more resistance than 109 ohms. Sounds like its bad to me!

MikeyB3649

Seaman Apprentice

Stator should have more resistance than 109 ohms. Sounds like its bad to me!

The manual says that the resistance between the red and red/white wires is in tolerance. It's the open on the blue and blue/white coil I am concerned with. I went ahead and ordered a stator. We'll see what happens.

MikeyB3649

Seaman Apprentice

Well got the stator installed this weekend and after a bit of sputtering and coughing, it started up and ran. I've got a bit of a miss but I'm pretty sure it's because I need to tune the carbs since I just rebuilt them. I guess the lesson learned here is to trust in the training the Air Force gave me as an aircraft electrician! It's a little bit harder to go with your instincts when it's your money that's footing the bill and not the government's. ;)