Force 120 Starter Hesitation

My 1997 Mercury Force 120 starter hestitates to rotate when the key is turned. It does engage the flywheel but sounds like it wants to turn for a few seconds before it actually rotates and starts the engine. I replaced the battery as a first and easy attempt to resolve, but no affect. The problem has been progressing to the point I am afraid it might not turn at all when I need it. I checked and cleaned all connections. This seemed to help for a couple times but now it is even worse. Is it time to replace or rebuild the starter? If so, which is recommended, replacement or rebuild and where would you recommend I get the parts? (Starter Part Number 50-F616955-1) Thanks.

coolguy147

Commander
Re: Force 120 Starter Hesitation

check and see that the starter is getting 12 volts.

Thanks for the advice. If the voltage is low, what would you suggest next? If the voltage is 12 volt, what would you suggest next? I ask this since I am 65 miles from where I have the boat stored and want to cover as much troubleshooting and work as possible while I am there.

hawkster

Cadet

If the starter is getting 12v then could try brush and spring kit in starter. If voltage to starter is low then it could be starter solenoid.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mercury and Force are NOT the same, that's why there is a Force/Chrysler forum. Your engine is NOT a Mercury or a Mariner.

********Mods, Please move to the correct area**********

:confused: I appreciate your reply and I have seen that written once before in a forum. But I dismissed it since my owners manual is by Mecury Marine for my Force Outboard. Also printed on the side of the engine it reads, "Force" in larger print and in smaller print "Mercury Marine". According to the owners manual both Mercury Marine and Force (and several others) are registered trademarks of the Brunswick Corporation. However, nothing mentions Chrysler in any printed or electronic literature I have on this motor. This manual was published in 1996. Perhaps the companies changed hands since then?

MOD, please do not move this discussion.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Captain Dave, If you're getting the correct voltage, you may remedy the problem by just taking the starter apart and cleaning any gunk off the brushes. Over time dust will build up around the brushes and not allow the tension springs to operate properly.

79Merc80

If so, then why is there a Force/Chrysler forum on this site? Wouldn't it say Mercury/Mariner/Force?? If indeed they are the same (And they AREN'T) then why would the "Force" name even be on the cowling?? Your engine is NOTHING more than an old Chrysler with a few upgrades from Mecury Marine like electronic ignition, lower unit and in the last years a updated transom bracket. Those few things DO NOT make it a Mercury outboard.

Read the larger print. That's what you have. You DO NOT have a Mercury or a Mariner as neither of them made a 120hp. You have a Force! Put it where it belongs.

************Mods, Please remove and place in the correct forum*******

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Geeez 79merc80 did you have to yell so loud at the poor guy?

79Merc80

There are catagories for a reason, otherwise, why not just do away with them and fish through ALL of the posts to find what you are looking for. I'm sorry that he doesn't have the engine he thinks he has. If he wanted a Mercury, he should have bought one, instead he has a Force, so use the Force section of the board.

It's really that simple.

Thank you to coolguy147, hawkster, and Wingedwheel for your very useful technical assitance. Your help and decorum is greatly appreciated. I am replacing the solenoid and rebuilding the starter both.

As for 79merc80, if you have nothing useful to offer this friendly discussion, then stay out of it. You might have noticed that I updated the image by my name with a picture of my engine cowling where it clearly says, "Force by Mercury Marine". I thought you might find this educational. Notice it does not say by Chrysler. Also visit the iboats URL at http://www.iboats.com/Force_by_Mercury_Marine/bpe/20br2233. Notice the title says, "Force by Mercury Marine Outboards" and not by Chrysler. Here is another iboats URL you should visit, http://www.iboats.com/Force_by_Mercury_Marine__120hp__1997/bpe/35br2233hy. Notice the title here says, "1997 Force by Mercury Marine 120 HP Models". The 120ELPT is mine. This is all consistant with the owners manual as well. What about all this do you have so much trouble understanding?

To be quite honest, I don't care whether it is Chrysler or not. Since you have no technical knowledge to offer and only griping, then stop posting to this discussion. Take a lesson from the other very friendly and helpful people who have posted. Be useful and be friendly.

Moderator, please place this discussion where you feel it fits best if you feel it needs to be moved. But whatever you do, please review the inappropriate and useless posts by 79merc80. This user will only serve to drive away others from your website.

79Merc80

I'm sorry, but it's YOU that is not listening (Even to yourself). I am completely aware that Mercury Marine built the Force outboard, but that doesn't make it a Mercury. There has NEVER been a Mercury 120hp, and why would (IF Mercury and Force were the same) they put out 2 90hp (Mercury/Mariner and Force) models?? The Mercury and Mariner are the same engine (Mid and upper power ranges) one was originally for the US (Mercury) and the other for overseas (Mariner), then Mariner was advertised as the offshore version, nevertheless, they are the same engines, same blocks, same CID.

Force is just a re-named and updated Chrysler engine. NOTHING you have pointed out has changed the facts that you have a Force and it belongs in the Force/Chrysler area. Your DO NOT have a Mercury or a Mariner and therefor doesn't belong in the Mercury/Mariner area.

Hint: The BIG lettering on your cowling is the make of the engine, NOT the small lettering.

Also, my posts are not "inappropriate and useless" there arespecific areas on this board for specific engines. Either stick with that or do away completely with the sub-folders and have ALL engine troubles in one folder. You are the one in the wrong and are upset because you know it!

I updated my avatar as well to show what an actual Mercury looks like. Notice that they don't need to have any other lettering but "Mercury"? Why do you think that is????????

hismajst

Seaman Apprentice

Wow 79merc!!!! If you arn't already a politician you certainly would make a great one. :eek:

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Didn't Mercury also change the lower units on the Forces when they took over?

79merc80. I just explained why I posted where I did. It was written on everthing I showed you. It is that simple and the world did not come to an end over it. I was seeking advice about a technical issue with my boat motor and fortunately received some very good help from nice boat owners. I appreciate any good advice you might have to offer also for resolving my starter issue, if you have any. Remember, it was YOU who got your panties in a wad over the location of the post and had nothing good to offer. So don't reply to this with the same old useless ranting about posting locations. You wore that subject out. Try something different and offer some good friendly discussion. In the meantime, I have a starter to rebuild and a lake to enjoy.

79Merc80

I don't need to "Rant" any more cause it has been moved to where it should have been in the first place.