Force 120 l-drive flooding?

DukeDelago

Seaman Apprentice
I just completed my top end rebuild for the powerhead on my 1990 maxum 2100 ldc with force 120 powerhead, replaced all 4 pistons and rings. Reassembled and reinstalled and she fired right up. Had a great day on the lake two sundays ago, engine fired up every time and no longer stalled when shifting out of gear which was a nice change! Last Friday I pulled the boat into my driveway and ran it on the muffs, once again started immediately and idled for a good 15-20 minutes with no issues. Shut it down and Saturday took it out to the lake again, and again started and idled perfectly. Got up and ran on a plane for a few minutes, then throttled down and sat at idle still with no problems. I then killed the engine and waited for my buddy to get his boat launched. Sat for 5 or ten minutes, and when I tried to start again the starter wouldn't engage. The nut on top had tightened up, I played with it for a bit, getting it to work for a crank or two but then would have the same problem. Once I fixed the starter problem, the engine wouldn't catch. I figured I had just flooded the carbs screwing around trying to get it started with a flakey starter (which is not even a year old, but that's another thread) so I let it sit for a couple of hours while we fished, figuring it would start later. Unfortunately I had the same issue when I went to start it later in the day. When I opened the engine compartment and looked at the motor as I tried to start it, I saw the top carb spitting fuel out of the vent on the side so I immediately stopped and had my buddy tow me in. I've since pulled off both carbs and tore them down and can find nothing wrong. floats are set right and seal off the inlet valve when closed, jets are clear and no obvious obstructions anywhere that I can see. I'm going to reinstall and try again after cleaning with spray carb cleaner, but are there any suggestions if it still leaks or wont start? (by the way I did a compression test after taking of the carbs just to make sure I hadn't blown the motor again and all cylinders were at 140 psi with a cold block so I don't think it has anything to do with the rebuild). Sorry for the length of this post but I wanted to provide as much info as possible! Thanks for any input you can give!

DukeDelago

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Force 120 l-drive flooding?

one more note, I failed to mentioned the one irregularity I've had since the rebuild which may be important. When running on the muffs idle speed is way too high, about 1400 rpm, even with the idle screw all the way out. When I'm actually in the water its more like 900 rpm and operates normally. The correct idle is around 750 rpm but I don't know how to bring it down any further. It also wants to stay at high rpm after running on a plane if i go directly out of gear (around 3000) but if i go to idle speed in gear first and then take it out of gear I don't have this problem. Does this sound more like a timing issue or carburation? I would assume carbs since I have the visual symptom of the leaking vent and was previously running pretty well after the rebuild but before this breakdown, other than the idle issue. Again sorry for running on!

DukeDelago

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Force 120 l-drive flooding?

fixed it myself, thanks for the help everyone