for Soulwinner.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hi Soulwinner,<br /><br />Here's the answer to your request for pictures.<br /><br />The vehicle is basically a 'standard' model. I believe they are only available in Australia, South Africa and Saudi Arabia. It has doors at the back (instead of tailgates), vinyl floor coverings not carpets (what sane person would have carpets in a 4WD????) and a live front axle. It also came with a 4.2l OHC naturally aspirated diesel engine and 16" split rim wheels. The mods I've done are the following:<br /><br />4.2l toy(ota) engine (128hp, 210lb-ft) out, 6.5l real engine (175hp, 325lb-ft) in!<br />Springs (Lovell), shocks(Koni) and bushing (polyurathane).<br />Diffs changed from 4.3:1 to 3.7:1<br />Dual battery setup. Compressor (visible in photo #2) for refilling tires (also capable of running air-locker diff centres).<br />Snorkel fitted and wheels changed to 16" single pieces rims.<br />Central locking and alarm/immobilizer.<br />Long range Cibie 'Super Oscar' lights and Cruise control (both essential for the long drives)<br />9,500lb Warn winch. Furuno GPS. 27MHz and UHF transceivers. 6 stack CD player (Clarion, also essential for long drives). <br /><br /><br />This is of the outside of the vehicle (obviously!) The only hint of the beast under the bonnet (hood) is the small "V8" badge glued to the wing, just in front of the front door.<br /><br /><br />
watermark.php
<br /><br />Now for the one you REALLY want to see. The photo doesn't really show it off to well, but here it is anyway.<br /><br />
watermark.php
<br /><br />Hope this satisfies your curiosity :D <br /><br />Chris............

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: for Soulwinner.

Chris, <br /><br />I love it I love it I love it!!!!! I want one. The motor that you put in it, what kind it is? Chevy? Ford? Was it hard to do the swap? My wife's LandCruiser has the Toyota 4.5 liter inline six in it. It has decent power and stuff, but that is a LOT of truck for that motor to move and it only gets 12MPG. I would love to swap it out for a motor that give better mileage, and maybe a better throttle responce. Did you have to get an engineer to sign off on the swap? I love the air intake set-up. It could use some bigger tire though.....some 44" Super Swamper Boggers maybe? Just kidding! The front bumper is killer. I like it WAY better then the stock one on our '93 Cruiser. I would love to put something like on the front and back of my Tacoma! And the snorkel, do you do a lot of water crossing?<br /><br /><br />Question: What are "split rim wheels"?<br /><br />Some thoughts on my new Toyota (1999 Tacoma TRD 4X4): It is the newest Toyota I have ever owned, and the first that was not made in Japan. I am not crazy about the seats, but they are ok i guess. It has rack and pinion steering. This I don't like. I think the old way with the big steering box bolted to the frame was the best way. I wish it had a solid front axle.<br /><br />Otherwise I am really happy with it, I love my little truck. This truck is really me, just like my wife's LandCruiser is really her.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

SW, split rim wheels are just what they sound like I think if I am thinking right.<br />2 piece wheels.<br /><br />Also, the only 6.5 I know of is GM.<br /><br />I have one and I like it.

SoulWinner

Commander

Are they split in the middle between the front and back? What is the purpose? What keeps them together? Lug Nuts? <br /><br />Also, what kind of mileage do you get with the 6.5l?

achris

SW,<br /><br />More questions!!! OK, the engine is a GM, as stated in the "What do you tow with" thread. <br /><br />Split rims are like a normal rim with the outside bead lip cut off. A groove is machined into the remainder of the rim and the bit cut off 'locks' into the groove. They have to run tubes and the pressure in the tyre keeps the whole thing together. Mostly used on big trucks (10tons +), they are really easy for changing tyres. They are also VERY dangerous. Several people have been killed by them flying apart on reassembly. When I ran splits on my 60 series LC I would put the wheel on the carrier on the back door and wrap my 20 foot drag chain around it before inflating.<br /><br />Fuel mileage. You're going to love this! We just came back from a fishing trip about 250 miles away. Towing my 20 foot cabin cruiser (2.5 tons) and sitting on 90 km/h (55 mph) we returned 18.5 mpg. <br /><br />The engine swap was done by the people who I purchased the engine from, and they organized the engineer and police acceptance.<br /><br />Chris.............

SoulWinner

Commander

Chris,<br />You are killing me!!!!!! 18.5mpg to my 12!?!? Yikes!<br /><br />How 'bout the snorkel? I would like to put one my Taco, but the only streem I ever cross is only about 2.5' deep. I think they look totally cool though.<br /><br />So, this 6.5l engine thinggy....I might just look into that. Is the gear swap nessesary with the engine swap? I am really curious about this, heck with gas prices the way they are, it would pay for it's self!!!

achris

SW,<br /><br />The diff ratio change was done to give the engine a bit more flexibility. Changed the engine speed from 2250 to 1900 rpm at 55 mph.<br /><br />Some facts of your engine : 220hp, 285 lb-ft<br />And now the 6.5l V8 Diesel: 175hp, 325 lb-ft<br /><br />Water crossings. Does this answer your question? The other advantage of a snorkel is that it gets the air intake up and out of the engine bay. This gets cooler air into the engine, thus improving effiency.<br /><br />
watermark.php
<br /><br />Chris.........

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

No turbo???? :p j/k...<br /><br />Thats a sweeet ride... I'd kill to get 18mpg towing my 2.5 tons.... Heck, I'd kill to get 18mpg, PERIOD!!!! :D

achris

I have considered a turbo, but Toyota in its infinite wisdom changed the gearbox in the 'standard' model (it's actually a Hilux box) and a turbo would have bits of it leaving in all directions. A petrol engine gearbox is on the wish list, then a turbo. :D <br /><br />Just driving around the city (and I'm not a gentle driver) I get about 21 mpg.......<br /><br />Chris..............

SoulWinner

Commander

Chris,<br />You are THE man! Your truck is the fershizzle my nizzle.....ok..don't ask....if I ever live out my dream of sailing a small boat down there, you gotta take me for a ride!<br /><br />Up here most water crossings have muddy bottoms and therefore we NEED 36" to 44" tires. I know my little Taco would look great with 38" Super Swamper Boggers but the mods needed to accomodate the tires would cost as much as the truck!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> No turbo???? :p j/k...<br /><br />Thats a sweeet ride... I'd kill to get 18mpg towing my 2.5 tons.... Heck, I'd kill to get 18mpg, PERIOD!!!! :D
My 6'5 is turbo charged and it gets right at 19 MPG pulling my 18'er at 65 MPH. :)

achris

That particular crossing was a bit scary. The bottom is pebbles, nice round ones, and the water was flowing about 5 knots. Pushed the whole vehicle sideways about 20 feet. You'll notice the angle as I approach the water, trying to push into the flow. The pebbles on the creek bottom act like ball bearings, nothing to grip onto, that's why I also hit it with a bit of speed up. <br /><br />The seat's warmed ready for you....<br /><br />Chris..........

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br />[QBThe front bumper is killer. I like it WAY better then the stock one on our '93 Cruiser <br />[/QB]
Hope you don't mind Chris, I'd like to respond to the bumper quote.<br /><br />SW, we call them 'bullbars'. Essential on our country roads. Big reds (kangaroos), wombats, cows, camels, deer, buffalo etc will destroy a cruiser at 120 kph, a steel bullbar offers some protection. I was a passenger in a troop carrier that hit a cow at 130kph, it bounced off the bullbar and landed on the bonnet. The vehicle was extensively damaged but because the radiator was protected we were able to limp to the next town. The last bullbar I had was connected to the roofrack (an extension of the side bars in Chris's pic), it prevented serious damage in a slow speed rollover.<br /><br />The type of bullbar on Chris's cruiser is very robust & widely used.<br /><br />Aldo

achris

Be my guest Aldo. <br /><br />I'll just add that some morons in this country are trying to ban 4WDs from city and suburban streets. I guess they may be just jealous, but it does concern me. If they squawk for long enough someone stupid in government may try it on.<br /><br />Chris.........

SoulWinner

Commander

Chris, there is always spomeone out there who, for what ever reason, wants to take away some of your freedom. They suck!<br /><br />Aldo, I have known a couple of guys who hit cows around here (I live in a pretty rural area with a lot of cattle stations, but they are tiny compared to the ones down there) and about once a year someone hits a stray cow. Needless to say, no one here has bull bars and the vehicle is usually totalled. I knew a guythat hit one with his Honda Prelude. The bull went through the windshield and dang near killed him. <br /><br />Anyway, Dee says I can't spend any $$$ on the truck till nex year, and then I am gonna get one of them bull bars! Oh, and a snorkel!

achris

SW,<br /><br />I've hit 5 kangaroos in the last 10 years. It's scary when it happens. The first time was with my old 60 series (equiped with a good 'roo bar), at night, towing the boat at 55 mph. Since this was the first time I had no idea of the end result and just 'braced for impact'. The bar ended up with a slight bend in it, but absolutely no other damage anywhere. Right then and there I decided I would never be without one (bar that is). <br /><br />As for Dee. Take her on a nice romantic country drive. Say you found this nice secluded spot (I know you're newly-weds), but make sure you can't get to it because of a 'deep' stream. That should justify a snorkel. I'm still working on the bar for you. :D <br /><br />Chris............