For NYBO. Boating the Hudson.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I see you are from Orange county (I assume from your name O.C.N.Y., not Cal.

Do you run the Hudson? What about Greenwood lake?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: For NYBO. Boating the Hudson.

Yes. Orange County, New York.

Sadly, I have yet to wet my boat. I bought it as a fixer-upper last July, and have purchased a bunch of stuff for it, but I didn't get around to making it seaworthy before winter set in. As is the case with many boats of its age with a lot of wood construction, the sole is rotten. Fortunately, the transom and stringers are sound.

But the Hudson and Greenwood Lake will be two of my planned regular haunts.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: For NYBO. Boating the Hudson.

When I was younger, I lived in Yonkers, then Peekskill, New York. Most times we did the Hudson and once I water Skied from West Point to the Tappan Zee bridge.

Occasionally, we would trailer to Greenwood lake. If I remember correctly, we would travel through the town of Tuxedo--for which the suit is named. Not many people know that. In the 1900s Tuxedo was a summer retreat for the New York rich. They had dances and cotillions for which the men wore a standardized dress suit. Because it was hot and there was no air conditioning, the original Tuxedo was worn with short pants.

Oh! I'm just a fountain of useless knowledge. Sometimes it just spews forth, unbidden, to annoy everyone near me. Made it difficult to get sex when I was younger. I would start talking and girls would close up like tulips at night. Now that I am older and married-----It's still difficult. LOL

On a good day, the Hudson is not to be missed. I have circumnavigated manhattan Island, have launched in long Island Sound at Mamaronek and travelled through Hells Gate. I have also cruised all the way up the Hudson to Lake Champlain. Beautiful trip but you do need the charts.

At one time I worked in Kearney. So, having travelled the Jersey Turnpike, one thing I always wanted to do was travel the Jersey side of the river south and cruise the Secaucus River, and maybe circumnavigate Staten Island--Ahhhh--The smell. Never got to it though.