? for Lubedude and other oil gurus....

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i'm doing a full resto for a guy on his Chris Craft Dorie.. new deck, paint etc.... i'm also putting in a new Crusader MPFI 350, tranny package and he is curious as to if its a good idea to start out with synthetic in it as opposed to dino? <br /><br />i haven't checked the Crusader literature yet for the package but the rumour i had always heard was a lengthy break-in before swapping over was best.. but i've also heard recently how alot of new motors are coming thru with synthetic and the previous rumour was just an old wives tale.<br /><br />obviously i wont go against factory recommendations but was wondering what the actual skinny was...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: ? for Lubedude and other oil gurus....

I would definitely go with a breakin period with petroleum oil. If you have any oil consumption issues related to the seating of the piston rings they will never properly seat with synthetics. They are that slippery.<br /><br />I can't say with a certainty but motors that come from the factory with synthetic oil may be pre-run in before they are shipped out the door with synthetics in them.

LubeDude

Admiral

Boomyal is correct as usual. Id say, run at least 50 Hrs. on regular oil. Valvoline or NAPA is a good breakin oil, 10W-30.<br /><br />The situation with the synthetic from the factory has baffled me also, but I understand that the honing they do now at the factory is so fine that it cannot be duplicated yet anywhere else. In a sence they are broken in from the start. Engine design and requirements have taken a turn in the last few years, trying to squeeze every once of fuel mialage out of every engine. Sometimes not for the good as the manufacturers are finding out with exceseave oil consumption and the piston slap issue. We are all guinny pigs for the manufactures and the one that yells the loudest is the one that gets the new engine! Chevy has come out with new pistons with longer skirts and rings with more tension. You just have to be a real pain in the but untill you get what you want!

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks gents :) <br /><br />i figured as much... just wanted to firm up my thoughts... i usually use mostly Delo, thats probably what it'll get for a while..<br /><br />one of those customers i love. money doesn't matter, just wants the entire boat done. everything. he's gonna have 50 g's in a 79 Dorie when all is said and done.. but it'll be one sweet boat... ;)

LubeDude

Admiral

Dello is almost too good of an oil, Id recomend Valvoline or NAPA for break in. <br /><br />Oh, and dont forget to Pre-lube that puppy before you fire it up! :eek:

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Valvoline it is.. my guy carries it.. got a drawer full of butchered distributors waiting to lube her ;) <br /><br />hehe, took a Q motor out of it.. backwards, what where they thinking with those things?!? :eek: ;)

LubeDude

Admiral

I know its a pain to change the oil, but I would change the oil and filter again after a couple hours, you will not beleive the amound of filings there will be in the oil when you do! Dont forget to run the engine at 1,500-2,000 RPM for the first 15-20 minutes to break in the cam if it is a new one! This is the most important thing to do when you first start a new engine. Never let it Idle for the first 15-20 minutes!

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks Lube... yeah, i'm familiar with that stuff, broken in dozens of fresh motors..<br /><br />i believe the book calls for an oil change at 10 hrs, but as you said, i usually do it after a couple hrs...

LubeDude

Admiral

I figured as much, just making sure! Cant be too carefull!