Foot control trolling motor?

jofish

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for advice on mounting a foot control trolling motor ,how big of area is needed for the mount ? Does it have to be right on the bow or can you mount them to one side? Always used transom mounts but just added a kicker and am thinking about getting bow mount foot control so the whole stern of the boat won't be clutterd up.Any help greatly appreciated.

bassher

Cadet
Re: Foot control trolling motor?

I have a Motorguide mounted on my boat and it requires an area 6"x24" to be mounted. The overall lenght in the stowed position is about 52". As far as where to mount I think the prop should be in the water as close to the center of the bow as possible because, remember with a bow mount you are pulling the boat not pushing it. I'm not an expert but I hope it helps.

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bassher has it pretty much correct. However, I think the emphasis on dead center mounting is somewhat overdone. I've had two Carolina Skiffs (no pointy bow) and both had MinnKota Powerglides mounted to one side. The motors pulled those very light boats around just fine. Of course, there must be a loss in efficency. It was so little that I could not tell with a 42 (approx) lb thrust TM and a 16 foot boat. <br /><br />One additional thought on mounting is..sometimes you have to mount a "mounting board"; then screw the TM into it. Stainless Steel T nuts in the back of the mounting board gives you a lot of flexibility. <br />RichG

jofish

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info,I think I'm leaning towards the mounting board. I haven't measured yet but I don't think I will have 6 X 24 without removing some bow railng, the kicker I mounted is great for trolling but I've lost the "stealth mode" I had with the transom mount trolling motor. Looks like I have alot of research to do yet.