Fogging spray

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all,

Before the long cold winter I was advised by a few members of this site to fog my outboard. So I went to the store and got the fogging spray, followed the instructions. What I found out one month ago after starting the outboard for the first time since early November is that it started right away without any issues. Then again I used the fogging spray and put it away untill today. Today I went out to turn it on and it started right away!!

So you may be thinking why am I complaining about this??? Well I'm not but I am now wondering if I should use the fogging spray after every use? In the past I had to try maybe twice with the idle levler open all the way to start a cold engine. With it being fogged the idle levler is only 1/4 of the way open and the outboard kicks on right of the bet!!!!

So what do you guys recomend?
Thanks
Zipp

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fogging spray

If the engine is to sit idle for more than 2 or 3 months then fog it. Other wise don't worry about it

robert graham

Admiral

With a premix motor at 50:1 there would be a bit more oil left on internal parts than an auto-lube motor since the oil/fuel ratio is much weaker at lower RPM's/idle with the oil injection....so if you have auto-lube maybe more important to fog between uses. Might depend on where your boat is stored between uses....docked on a saltwater river, in dry storage, etc......

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

Its stored in my garage all the time.

philipp10

Seaman

Hi all,

Before the long cold winter I was advised by a few members of this site to fog my outboard. So I went to the store and got the fogging spray, followed the instructions. What I found out one month ago after starting the outboard for the first time since early November is that it started right away without any issues. Then again I used the fogging spray and put it away untill today. Today I went out to turn it on and it started right away!!

So you may be thinking why am I complaining about this??? Well I'm not but I am now wondering if I should use the fogging spray after every use? In the past I had to try maybe twice with the idle levler open all the way to start a cold engine. With it being fogged the idle levler is only 1/4 of the way open and the outboard kicks on right of the bet!!!!

So what do you guys recomend?
Thanks
Zipp

Apparently no one here read your question. From what you said, your motor popped right off after fogging but usually, during the season, it doesn't. Sounds to me like your needing a it more gas when the motor is cold. No, don't start fogging the motor after every use to cover up your real issue. You just need to get more gas into the cylinder before starting. Either your choke it more or give your primer bulb a couple squeezes before starting.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just keep this in mind........... fogging spray is great for long term (I consider over 4 months) storage but the real key is to try to drain your carbs. Gas sitting in the fuel bowl and inside the carb is absolutely just as important as fogging. In the past I have seen people fog the motor and forget the carbs then wonder why things don't run right.

robert graham

Admiral

Just keep this in mind........... fogging spray is great for long term (I consider over 4 months) storage but the real key is to try to drain your carbs. Gas sitting in the fuel bowl and inside the carb is absolutely just as important as fogging. In the past I have seen people fog the motor and forget the carbs then wonder why things don't run right.

I totally agree!....draining carbs is a small chore taking a few minutes but a Whole lot less time/trouble/expense than plugged carb jets.....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

That's what fuel Stabilizers are for. Keeps the fuel that you can't drain from breaking down

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

That's what fuel Stabilizers are for. Keeps the fuel that you can't drain from breaking down

Exactly, you'll never get it all out, better to double treat it for storage and not let it go bad in the carb.

robert graham

Admiral

Tilt the motor up just a bit, remove drain plug and it will all drain out....then pump primer bulb a few times to "flush" carb float chamber with fresh/treated gas, then replace plug carefully without too much torque(which can strip threads)....put a rag or towel under each carb to drain and prevent gas from running down in lower cowl area....

philipp10

Seaman

Thanks for the advise... Will do :)

You might try spraying in some carbeuretor cleaner in the fuel and idle mixture ports. You would have to remove those screws and spray in there then replace the screws after. If you do this, check where the screws were set open. I do this by first counting the number of turns it takes to close the screws fully. Then set those back to those same spots.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Fogging oil can also raise the compression in a tired motor, which may help it start easier.