Foam or Not??

indianboater

Cadet
I have a 1978 Stryker bass boat, some of the flotation foam has pulled loose. Can I use flotation foam resin that is mixed to fill the entire bottom cavity of the boat? Would a expanding foam sealant such as "Great Stuff" work just as well?<br /> Thanks ;)

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Foam or Not??

If you use an expanding foam chemical it may prove difficult to remove next time you have some maintanence to do. With a cut and place foam you could remove it anytime. <br />Make sure it is able to tolerate water and dries well after use. Otherwise it's useless.<br />Ross

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes the "great stuff will work but.... install it inside of a plastic trash bag. This will allow it to expand but not adhere to surfaces which will permit easier removal if needed.<br /><br />It's actually exspensive for it's size. Do a search on Google for two part expanding foam and there are allot of manufacturers out there.<br /><br />Bob

crab bait

Captain

the 2-part mix... if it's not mixed EXACTLY,,, 50/50,,,you just made a big sponge...

ndemge

Commander

We used the expandable foam a while back for a packing project we had here at the warehouse. The guy that let us use his machine had actually helped a guy do a boat.<br /><br />You could buy the chemicals, and just mix it yourself small batches at a time.<br /><br />When mixed, you have about 1 minute where it stays as a nice mixture, then WHAM ...so you could use an old bucket. <br />And he's right about the plastic.... buy a roll of plastic to lay down, then pour this stuff on top.<br /><br />We got it from Ross at Ray Engle packing in St. Louis. He could get you a price and then ship it you, or you can call local guys to find the same stuff. <br /><br />His # is 314-567-3388<br /><br />The Rep at Plyair Dan Bragg was the one that let us use his machine... he could give you some pointers on the boat aplication..... cause if you use too much, you crack things with the pressure.<br />he's dbragg@polyair.com

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Indian boater, make sure whatever you use, it is a closed cell foam. Open cell foams are basically sponges and will soak and keep water. Be carefull with expanding foams. If you fill too much, they will warp and crack the toughest materials. <br /><br />I ran across this site which sells foam for marine applications. They say it is a 90% closed cell foam mix. I have never used it, but it is a starting place.<br /><br /> http://rhhfoamsystems.com/literature/mfb-1/

Alrobot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used "great stuff" under the floor of my boat as we put in the new floor we shot it underneath. It only "over-expanded" in one spot. Man is that floor solid. I agree with the pain in the *** removal if you don't use plastic, which by the way, I didn't. I figure the boat should be pretty much unusable if I have to do the floor again, and time to go to the dealer...<br /><br />Al...

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Great Stuff is like WD 40 and Duct Tape. A million uses. My uncle used it to keep his rust-bucket truck together and since then I have used a little shot here and there to fix rattles and squeeks in the truck. <br /><br />Keep it away from direct contact with water, It will suck it up. Plastic membranes (bags) are essential in boats. I've used foam peanuts as filler (free) with foam with great results. Like really light concrete!