flywheel wont come off L6

mudrow

Seaman Apprentice
I am having a serious problem with the flywheel. the thing is seriously stuck. I am ready to beat the heck out of it. Manual says to hit puller but no luck of budging. Tried to heat it but no good either. Any suggestions.<br />63 L6

Laddies

Banned
Re: flywheel wont come off L6

I had one that I had to disassemble the flywheel, cut the belt divider off the upper main cap, with the puller maxed out support the flywheel hub with a block of wood, then take a air hammer to the outside of the hub to get it off. Bob

Clams Canino

Commander

You gotta use the correct puller that screws into the hub.<br /><br />Assuming you are doing that, you may need to remove the wheel from the hub (mark it) and then heat the hub.<br /><br />I had one once that I actually snapped the puller bolt. I replaced it with a grade 8 hardened bolt and went another round and won. Had to have the threads on the crank re-chased as I actually mushroomed the end a little with the puller tension.<br /><br />Use the Force young paddawan. One of two things will happen, the wheel will come off - or the puller will break. Try not: do.<br /><br />-W

ZmOz

Captain

I removed mine from the hub, and tightened down the puller bolt with an impact wrench until it wouldn't turn anymore. Still didn't pop off. Then I heated it with a propane torch while the bolt was still tight - popped right off without touching it. :)