Flywheel torque setting

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 15, 2009
Messages
282
I'm trying to figure what torque I should have my flywheel on. It's a 99 Force 120, serial number OE 359472. I have 2 torque wrenches, one goes up to 200" lbs and the other goes up to 80 ft. lbs. so I'm trying to figure it out so I can go pick up another wrench if I need to and get this thing torqued down right. Any help is much appreciated, happy 4th!
 

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 15, 2009
Messages
282
Re: Flywheel torque setting

I have a pic someone posted for 90ft lbs OR 125ft lbs, depending on serial numbers. The problem is my serial number doesn't match up, I would think 90 is correct, but need to be sure.
 

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Joined
Oct 8, 2007
Messages
4,251
Re: Flywheel torque setting

My SELOC manual says S/N OE093699 and later it should be 125ft lbs. My CLYMER manual says S/N OE138600 and later it should be 125ft lbs. Your S/N is OE359472 is well after both SELOC and CLYMER S/N's. I would say that it should be 125ft lbs.
 

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
12,004
Re: Flywheel torque setting

Mercury ignition engines use a different flywheel and bigger nut. They take the 125. Prestolite ignitions have a smaller flywheel nut and they take 90 foot pounds. If the nut is bigger than (I think) 1 1/16 use 125 foot pounds. Your late model engine has the Mercury ignition and should use 125 foot pounds.
 

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 15, 2009
Messages
282
Re: Flywheel torque setting

Ok sounds like I need another torque wrench then. Just wanted to be sure. I bent a couple starter armatures so I think the flywheel wasn't torqued right when I put it back on last year. I'll try torqueing it to 125 ft lbs and let you know how it goes. Thanks.
 
Top