Flywheel Ring Gear

penske

Cadet
1998 Volvo Penta 4.3 gl Model # 4328PBYC Drive Unit #3868720 Transom #3868413 This is in a 1998 Four Winns Horizon.

Suspect flywheel may have teeth missing. How much are flywheels and do you replace the ring gear also? Where do you buy them on-line?. I know after market is less expensive. iI there a good store on-line for parts for this motor?

Also do the links still work for the manuals for this boat? Can't seem to get them to come up. Don S gave them to me. I miss him soooo much.

Thanks.....Love Lake Norman in Mooresville NC.

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Flywheel Ring Gear

Once you get the flywheel out you can go to the parts store and buy a new ring gear.

Heat the old one and tap it off with a drift.

Then. Flywheel in the freezer, ring gear in the oven, and tap the new one on.

Chay

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I haven't seen the manuals here for awhile now.

Go here, select Volvo, then scroll over to the "BY" series manuals. There's all your service manuals. Drive manuals are at the beginning of the list.

Bondo

Staff member

Once you get the flywheel out you can go to the parts store and buy a new ring gear.

Heat the old one and tap it off with a drift.

Then. Flywheel in the freezer, ring gear in the oven, and tap the new one on.

Chay

Ayuh,.... Exactly,.... it'll literally Fall into place if ya freeze the flywheel,...
the old 1 taps off, without heat,...

'bout any auto parts house will have or can get a Chevy ring gear, it's either 12", or 14",...

Walt T

Lieutenant

It's like glastron said. I use a cutting torch and just cut the old one off but I can see that being an anus clencher for some guys afraid to damage the flywheel. A propane torch will work but take longer. I use a torch to heat up the new ring gear and pop it on. Had a mechanic step on a hot ring gear once burned a nice toothy groove in his boot.

penske

Cadet

Thanks guys. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to pay for a flywheel and what web site to order from?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks guys. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to pay for a flywheel and what web site to order from?

Ayuh,.... What makes ya think you need a Flywheel,....

penske

Cadet

Well a new starter sounded like I was grinding up a garbage can. The old starter crapped out the same way, however they said it was loose. The repair shop will replace it under the starter warranty, but they said " you may have some teeth missing on the flywheel." Just want to be prepared with some knowledge.

Thanks Bondo for replying and trying to help.

saintlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Had mine done a couple of years back. I went to a local machine shop. Ring gear was missing 6 teeth so they changed just the ring gear not the flywheel. 25 for gear and 20 labor to replace, 45 dollars total. Well worth it.
Motor was also a 4.3 on a searay.

penske

Cadet

Does the starter engage the flywheel teeth or the ring gear teeth??

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Same thing, just different names. Pull the motor, remove the flywheel and take it to a motor mechanic who will fit a new ring gear to the flywheel.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The ring gear is just that, a ring with gear teeth. The flywheel is plain, no teeth. The ring gear is 'sweated' onto the flywheel. As already explained, the ring gear is heated (to expand it) and the flywheel is chilled (to contract it). Then the ring gear is big enough to slip over the edge of the flywheel. As the temperatures change (flywheel heats and expands, ring gear cools and contracts) the 2 become an interference fit, locking them together.

I usually just hit the ring gear, between 2 teeth, with a cold chisel to get it off.... Just support the flywheel as you do... Or :eek: as it hits the floor :facepalm:

Chris......

Looks like this when they are apart....

20081023_flywheel.jpg

Last edited:

penske

Cadet

Thanks everyone. I finally got it. The pic made it clear what I'm dealing with. Any good links to parts stores for after market Volvo Penta engine parts?.