ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
flywheel puller

Where is the cheapest place to get one or what can I make it out of? Thanx

KCLOST

Commander
Re: flywheel puller

You can make one out of a lifting eye, but you will have to buy that if you don't have one...<br /><br />Let me know I'll Show you how....

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its for a '79 70hp ser# 4716588. I have a lifting eye but its a homemade job I made that bolts to the flywheel. What can I use for the internal threads and weld a nut to that?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Any auto parts store has inexpensive combination gear/wheel pullers. It's not worth fooling around with welding and experimenting with a home-brew puller and possibly damaging parts. If you insist on making one, use a 3/8 inch thick flat plate with three holes drilled to match the puller holes in the flywheel. Find the center of point of the three holes, drill a large hole for a 3/4-inch fine thread bolt. Put a nut under the plate and fasten the unit to the flywheel. Hold the nut with one wrench and turn the bolt with another.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried a 3way puller and snapped a grade 8 bolt. I got nervous after that. Its going to soak a day or two with kroil before I attempt it again. Thanx

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the engine runs, loosen the flywheel nut SLIGHTLY and start the engine. Sometimes that will loosen it.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Lifting,pulling,pressing can exert more energy than you need directly in fron of your face.Even the correct puller can 'POP' the flywheel several inches into the air when it lets go.<br />I'd buy the correct puller unless you can make an identical one,and your tapping,drilling and welding are up to spec.<br /><br />DHP

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll give the starting a try. I also agree about the pop in your face, it makes you think. I do have the welding skills, the thread cutting is also a option. I'll just bite the bullet and buy a puller, Thanx.

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

I had good luck using an impact wrench on the puller on mine, which was stuck pretty tight (gently, low air pressure). I have also heard that a propane torch carefully applied on the hub can help. These are recommendations I got from others on this board with more experience than I have. Kroil seems like a good idea. And once off, cleaning the mating surfaces well. Someone here spoke of lapping the hub to the shaft with valve grinding compound, if memory serves me well. Perhaps someone can elaborate on that.<br /><br />Good luck!

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm going to wait till the end of the week with the kroil seeping. Try the impact again with a new bolt, If that fails, I'll see if the dealer can pop it off. probablt cheaper than buying a new puller. Thanx everyone, I'll have more questions later.