Flywheel problems

tweeder

Cadet
First a little background.<br />I bought a 1990 Bayliner 1903cc with a 125 Force outboard a few months ago. The boat had sat for a number of years so I knew it was going to need some work. Since I bought the boat, I have invested over $2600. I still haven't been able to take the boat out b/c every time I get ready to go something else goes wrong.<br /> <br />Now for the problem of the day. <br />I was getting her ready to take her out on the water (I've gotten in the habit of trying to start her before I even think about taking her out as a precaution) and she acted as if the battery were dead. The battery in it is brand new, but just as a test I hooked her up to a battery charger. I was then able to get her to try to start, but the distributor would only connect to the flywheel on occassion. Otherwise it just spun in place. Whenever it did connect with the flywheel it barely turned (the flywheel). I tried turning the flywheel by hand but it barely wanted to move (I'm not sure how easily they are supposed to turn). <br /><br />I'm not really sure what else to do or where to go from here so I hoped someone could help. I'm almsot to the point that I'm just going to set her on fire and roast some marshmallows.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Flywheel problems

Try taking the spark plugs out and see if the starter will spin the motor. This will reduce compression and the flywheel should spin easier. Check all your battery connections and make sure they are tight and clean. If you see any corrosion clean it with a file or sand paper. Have your battery load tested to make sure it is good. Dont matter if it is new it could still be bad. Is battery a deep cell or a cranking battery. You probably want at least 500 cold cranking amp cranking battery. If everything tests good take the starter apart. Could be gunked up or corroded. Ususally a starter when it goes bad just needs cleaning.<br /><br />Good luck