flywheel paranoia

dodl

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br /><br />I read an article about micro cracks in flywheels some time ago, and now i always think what happens when a flywheel disintegrates at 4000-5500rpm. I am really scared a little. I mean, i don't know how the shop removed the flywheel, they said it was pretty hard to remove. I virtually can see that big guy with an even bigger hammer working on my engine :D <br /><br />Now, is this really a common problem, or just an urban legend (parts of flywheel hitting passengers).<br /><br />cu<br />martin

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: flywheel paranoia

If the mechanic used the correct puller, you have nothing to worry about. You may not anyhow. The hoods do a good job of containing anything that goes flying. I've removed thousands of flywheels by now and none have ever grenaded. I did get a Merc V-6 in trade once with a knock. The flywheel nut wasn't there, the flywheel was sitting loosely on the splined crankshaft. I ran it that way before finding it and the magnets kept the flywheel in place. Not that I advise running a motor with a loose flywheel, but I was amazed that it never left the crank and the motor ran rather well.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A little off-topic but I once saw what a flywheel does to a truck when it comes apart. The driver lost a couple of toes and it makes a real mess under the dash. At 5500 I doubt the engine covers on most outboards would contain anthing that was chucked out from the flywheel. Scary indeed, but if the flywheel were struck hard enough with a hammer to damage it, it would also have knocked magnets loose. But as Mr. Murphy said, "most anything is possible".

GaCracker

Cadet

I had a flywheel come loose on a 35 hp once. It came right through the cover into the boat. Fortuanately it hit the floor, so we don't know the answer to how mcuh damage it could do to a person.