Flywheel no longer available for sportjet90?

Typhoon90

Cadet
Hello folks,

I got a big problem
First, my boat is a thundercraft "typhoon" 90 with a inboard mercury sportjet 90 serial # oe066932.

The problem is that i got 2 cracked magnets on my flywheel.
So i'm looking for a new one but Mercury tells me that it is no longer available....same thing with www.stemtostern.com

Part # is 817494a18 (what they told me at the dealer)
But the # punched on the flywheel is 43 817409

Anybody can help...or know a place that can provide it?
Or can i find magnets separatly and stick'em to the flywheel by myself?
Hope i won't have to throw my boat to the garbage :eek:

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Flywheel no longer available for sportjet90?

There around, new and used-maybe dealer can run search with other dealers who have inventory?
Was 1 on ebay last month-and try ads on old sportjet forum.

Magnets are epoxied on, moisture freezing in winter is all it takes to pop them off or partially 'pop' them which breaks them. I always heard magnets can't be 'repaired'....glued/epoxied back together as they stay 2 different magnets. That said-trustworthy guy told me magnets can be repaired....think its product called Ferroflux? Ask about that at true electronics store (not Rat Shack) or search online. May be able to 'weld' those magnets back together forming one mag again....be sure to epoxy back in place with proper orientation.

Suprised manufacturers of magnets doesn't sell kits online with new sets.

Typhoon90

Cadet

Bam Marine lists one for the black stator, which ign oes your engine have http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...+COMPONENTS+(Ser.+#'s+0E066620+Thru+0E095087)

My stator is red, so it makes me wondering...maybe that the part number that the dealer gave me (817494a18) is for the flywheel that comes with the original black stator kit?
Is it possible that if my stator is red...it as been changed and the flywheel i got as been changed too...so in there book...they list that part number wich is nla instead of the one i really need?

Thank you guys for any kind of help
I'll try to look for this stuff zamboni

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...bdesc=CDM+CONV+KIT+(835084A1)+COMPONENT+PARTS

That the Red stator conversion kit....looks like dealer gave you correct info on part # and availability-part 41 flywheel does show as no longer available from merc!

Try emailing merc direct-may have info on dealer with stock. I'd suggest search-possibly post on with flywheel magnets in title. Someone should have info on repair or possible source for replacement mags.

Cujo31/Zamboni

SSG D

Cadet

I saw several of these engines at M+M marine salvage in Merideth NH the other day. thier number is 603-279-5041. not sure if they ship or not,but he has a warehouse full of blown up engines!!!! hope this helps,bryan

Typhoon90

Cadet

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...bdesc=CDM+CONV+KIT+(835084A1)+COMPONENT+PARTS

That the Red stator conversion kit....looks like dealer gave you correct info on part # and availability-part 41 flywheel does show as no longer available from merc!

Try emailing merc direct-may have info on dealer with stock. I'd suggest search-possibly post on with flywheel magnets in title. Someone should have info on repair or possible source for replacement mags.

Cujo31/Zamboni

Hollly crap, i just had a look on part # 41 and it is not looking like mine :confused:
The one on my boat is more like part # 2 on this link
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...+COMPONENTS+(Ser.+#'s+0E066620+Thru+0E095087)

Bad thing, i just ordered a used 917494a18 at boattune...and it will probably won't fit :mad:

Why does the dealer tells it is the one for my boat?:(
My serial # is oe066932