flushing lower unit?

tomed01

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all<br />I have a hydro electric 60 hp johnson changed out solenoid selector switch and got reverse and nuetral <br />back in it now but seems slow and slugish to go into neutral. when i try to start it on water it always seems like it is in foward gear and lurches me foward .I have read alot on forumes about flushing lower unit with atf fluid was going to try this weekend to see if that helps. how long running on muffs would you let atf stay in and do you shift gears to help it or just run in neutral?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: flushing lower unit?

You have a burned out blocking diode. Does the engine shift to nuetral when running?

tomed01

Seaman Apprentice
Re: flushing lower unit?

Hi all<br />It shifted to neutral in driveway on muffs but it takes it a little bit ,took it to lake today on water couldnt get neutral keep starting in foward and would die in neutral position ran for crap gave it some reverse to get it to start.Then would run foward in reverse position go about 7mph out of her would go to foward and would bog down and die. at one point heard clutch dog kick in it went to neutral got hig rev rpms then went to foward position with throttle and it grabbed but could only get 7mph full throttle.got home dropped lower unit pulled solenoid valves and upper valve has a hole in top i can see inside of it? so suspect it is bad would this cause my problem? also rod that goes between spark advance and top of throttle missing could this throw timing out ? it seems to have power in driveway but put it in water it is for crap....<br />Thanks Tom