Fluorocarbon or Monofilament leader?

Five O'Clock

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is the difference between Fluorocarbon leader and a monofilament leader?<br /><br />Does each have their ups and downs with different styles of fishing, whether trolling or casting or spinning?<br /><br />Is there even a difference?<br /><br />Thanks!

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fluorocarbon or Monofilament leader?

Fuoro, when underwater becomes virtually invisible. I've been on a head boat for weakfish with my friend, me using a mono leader, him using fluoro, both of about the same diameter. He almost doubled my catches until I switched to fluoro myself. I think it has just about the same characteristics as monofiliament (stretch, resiistance to abrasion, etc.) but is far more expensive. I would say unless you're going after fish that are really line shy, use monofilament, but always keep fluoro in your box.

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What AJ said and I'll add something. Flouro tends to larger in diameter so plan accordingly. I like it but it can affect the "action" of your lure and how it tracks. Bottom line to what I'm saying is, if you normally leader your lures with, say 150lb mono, and you switch to 150lb flouro, the line diameter will be larger. Consider going down a bit in poundage if your fishing style and targetted species will allow it.

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class

Someone told me the Flouro was tougher and more abrasion resistent than mono. that true?

Fly Rod

Commander

:) hate to say it, Even tho I hate to change my ways, Fluoro is the way to go!!! ;) :cool:

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yes Bruce- fluoro is very abrasion resistant. It is also very stiff which can be a plus when tying multiple-hook rigs. I like it because it can take quite a big of abuse before breaking. I have rubbed it on rocks, oyster beds, metal framing, etc and it holds up for me. Fishing for reds in the gas fields around Leeville, La showed me the benefits of fluoro. That water is 3'-4' deep in most spots and is full of oyster beds, well heads and platforms, rock piles and the like the redfish know each one by name. LOL I think it helped me get more strikes and boat more fish. One of my group was fishing 17lb mono and literally lost half of the fish he hooked due to cut-offs. I lost about 1/4, maybe less, due to that same issue. However, it is expensive. I just paid $19 for a 25 yard spool of Seaguar 50 lb leader material for a trip to Florida and a spool of 80lb ran me $26. That's for 25 yards! I tied up 12 rigs and the 50# was gone! That's not cheap...<br /><br />UFM82

Five O'Clock

Petty Officer 1st Class

it costs some money, but was it worth it? i think thats the bottom line, it may cost a bit more, but was it worth it not to lose half of the fish that you reported in that last post?