Fluorocarbon line is less pliable than other lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I spooled the new 17 pound line on my open face just like they show on youtube. Counter clockwise off the spool of line. Then when I opened the bail the line sprung off of the reel and twisted around the rod tip. So I drug a sinker up the alley with it attached to a swivel tied to the end of the line. That got rid of the twist problem.
I picked up the rod today and opened the bail and the line jumped off of the reel in coils.
I took the rod and reel and sinker setup to the ball diamond at the school thinking that dragging the sinker some more would fix the problem.
I found that the line won't spring off the reel as long as there is tension on the line whenever the bail is opened. So now the bail remains closed until I am ready to cast the weight or lure. I crank to close the bail again just before the weight or lure stops going all the way out. I can loosen the drag to pull enough line off to tie on a lure without losing tension on the line by opening the bail.
I see a lot of people who ask for advice when the line jumps off of their reel. If you load the line on the reel properly and keep tension on the line you don't have to skimp on the amount of line on your reel.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
All but one of my spinners are loaded with braid for just that reason.

The only spinner with mono is my “Spanish” rod which is loaded with #15 Tritanium Plus which is a copolymer line. Very supple. Well behaved on a spinner.

MRS

Commander
I once spooled a reel with fluorocarbon line and did not like it lost two fish in a row. Line gets hot and did not hold a knot as well as mono but has a leader I think it is ok for me I stick with mono Maximu mono works for me.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I've normally fished for bluegills, perch, trout and large mouth bass. I'm now 61 and have fished all my life. I have only used Stren monofilament ( I did try another brand once) on my two spinning reels. I have an ultra-light with 4lb for the smaller fish, and a medium heavy fast action with 10lb for the big ones. I have never had a problem.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I've normally fished for bluegills, perch, trout and large mouth bass. I'm now 61 and have fished all my life. I have only used Stren monofilament ( I did try another brand once) on my two spinning reels. I have an ultra-light with 4lb for the smaller fish, and a medium heavy fast action with 10lb for the big ones. I have never had a problem.
Stren was the name brand of the day back then. Used it exclusively for years.
It wasn't until I got into saltwater fishing that a line's characteristics (diameter, stretch, abrasion resistance, knot strength, etc.) had to be taken into consideration. Only then did I start looking at other brands of mono, ultimately going to braided line on spinners with the one exception.

Josh1489

Cadet
Braid is all I run since discovering it. It has saved me a ton of money, lost fish, and lost tackle. Its just plain superior in my opinion. Cuts deeper when trolling, sensitivity is incredible, weathers better, strength to diameter is obviously a game changer. Sure it’s more visible than the other options, but I would need to be a much better angler before I consider that lol. Tight lines.

FLATHEAD

Commander
Agree with above. Take the Flurocarbon off and switch to either braid or mono. I fish a lot of hard and soft jigs. For that application braid with a fluro leader can’t be beat. The braid has no stretch and gives a good instant hookset while the fluro leader keeps visibility low near the jig. On my rods I use with spinnerbaits and lures you retrieve to entice a reaction bite I use mono on a glass rod with medium slow action. You need a bit of give so that you don’t pull the bait out of there mouth and get a partial hook up or no hook up.

Keep in mind when tying braid to fluro a proper knot is a must.

Tight lines!

Status
Not open for further replies.