Fluorocarbon Leaders For Salmon

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last summer I started trying some fluorocarbon leaders when the fishing got tough with some success...(Chinooks)

Has anyone had any problems using fluoro?

What are some of the pros and cons when using this line?

Has anyone tried using this line with a "flasher" rig?

MRS

Commander
Re: Fluorocarbon Leaders For Salmon

Silver, check out the freshwater forum there is some good information there..............

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MRS, I read the tread you had going...good info.

The only thing I'm really concerned with, is we're not talking about a 3-4 lb. bass here... The average salmon last year was 8-15lbs. And the largest was 21.

I didn't break any flouro yet, but then again I really didn't get out as much as would have liked....Just keep testing the stuff I quess. Best of Luck!....RJ

MRS

Commander

Silver, Thats some nice size fish you getting.where you fishing I am sure someone will give you a reply here soon what fluoro are you useing now it sounds like it is doing ok for you so far. I did get some p-line but have not got out to try on the stripers here yet.....

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I tried P-Line Floroclear in the ocean for Salmon but did not see any difference. However must say reason I did it is I wanted to go from 20 Lb test to 25 Lb Test. and just worried salmon would see the line. Ocean out here usually can only see about 30 feet down on a normal foggy day so water not supper clear like some areas.

My wife caught a 39lb 5 oz salmon and we had 4 over 25 pounds so got worried. We use graphite 9 foot rods rated at 15 to 30 with Spectra 40lb test line and a 5 foot 20 lb test leader. Since the spectra line does not streach at all and the rod pretty stiff not to much give. In Ocean must use barbless hooks so must keep line tight at all times. I got worried we may be pushing it so I tried a 25 Lb Floroclear p-line leader.

Since we have never broke a line went back to P-Line co polomer 20 lb line. Have lost two fish that got off the barbless hook when we had doubles. Trying to rush one fish and put lite pressure on the smaller fish not a good idea with barbless hooks. Both times the fish with the light pressure got off.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I have used fluorocarbon as leaders under spectra line for stripers and cod.The line itself is invisible,which allows you to use real heavy leader material.On the other hand ,while using spectra or any other no stretch line you MUST set the slip real loose because the only give that that line has is in your leader.
The only problem I have had so far with fluorocarbon is that when there are bluefish in the water,they will rip right through it.

MRS

Commander

Silver, what brand are you using it sounds like it is working for you. I hated the fluoro because it would break on the big fish stripers not large mouth. I think my problem was the brand and weight I was using so I have p-line now just haven`t be able to get out and try it. I was spooling the whole reel with it also so I do not think it gave enough streach and just popped the line so now I am going to spool with mono and just use a four or five foot leader and see if that is better.

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The local tackle store suggested Gamma (I believe a Japan product??) 40# test with a "flasher" and "fly" set-up, as well as spoons.

As you guys have pointed out, these lines don't have the streach of mono. So I have only used this line for leaders only and not spooling an entire reel....I don't see a need to spool 750 feet plus...Not to mention the cost.

Thanks for the feed back.

crunch

Commander

However must say reason I did it is I wanted to go from 20 Lb test to 25 Lb Test. and just worried salmon would see the line.

Many years ago I fished Salmon Commercially. We used 200 lb. line and the fish never saw it or didn't care.

Salmon in the ocean are not easily spooked, you don't have to sneak up on them, you don't have to worry about noise... the only thing I ever found to worry about, other than when to quit, was electrolysis. Salmon can sense the slightest electrical current or potential... and will run like, well, you get the idea.

That only comes into play if you are using down-riggers or Aluminum/Brass combo's in a flasher setup.

Don't worry about the fish seeing the line.... they don't. :p

MRS

Commander

Silver what state are you fishing in.