Fluid for lower unit... What to use...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer
Looking for information on the gear lube for the lower unit.... Is that stuff Just regular 80-90 or is there something special to it where a person has to use the marine lubricant on it???<br /><br />1990 alpha one.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Tallman

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fluid for lower unit... What to use...

Still looking for info can anyone help??

Boatist

Rear Admiral

The 75w-90 stuff probably is ok but for me and I only change it one time a year I use top quality sentecic oil from manufacture. It will accept 10 percent water with out damage and for another five bucks is it worth taking a chance. Does the auto stuff mix with the water or let saltwater go to bottom and oil float on top where you bearings are running in salt water???

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

don't use reg. 80-90. it doesn't have anti foaming agents like marine grade.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I suggest you purchase the proper gear lube sold by Mercury. Their "premium" gear lube is what you're looking for. I know folks use many different brands and types of gear lube, and some may be fine, however, the viscosity of marine gear lube is much thinner than automotive type. I also suggest you buy the hand pump (looks like a hand lotion dispenser with a hose attached) used to add the gear lube.<br /><br />G.I.Joes, my local sporting goods chain, sells Mercury oil & gear lube for less than the dealer. They also sell the pump... I'd suspect you too can get it from a sporting goods retailer.<br /><br />Walt

kdmiller8251

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys will do!<br /><br />Tallman

Status
Not open for further replies.