Floor: High pressure or wood?

At some point I will have to replace my 10 foot Achilles. I can reduce the weight by getting a ten footer with a high pressure inflated floor instead of a wood floor.

Other than the obvious problem of potential air leaks are there any drawbacks to the high pressure floor?

Do you own one? Do you like it? Or are you going back to wood/aluminum?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Floor: High pressure or wood?

Pros : Overall light weight sib, floor easy to place, remove, clean, comfortable to sit on.

Cons : Needs to be inflated to max pressure (10-12 psi) to perform best & rocks least, suceptible to cuts, hooks, more slide issues than wooden or alum floors.

If portability is a must have issue with less performance go for it, if performance and extra weight is not an issue go for alum floors. Or try a air mat floor sib before buying, probably won't like after having a wooden floor sib. Are you planning to use it at sea, lake, river ?

Happy Boating

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Floor: High pressure or wood?

I own an Achilles LSI 290 with an air floor, and I like it a lot. Far more portable than my old Zodiac, so far have had no problems with it. The air floor is stable enough that my wife willingly steps from the swim platform of my boat and back without fear. As long as it is pumped up properly, it is just fine for standing and walking around. I haven't owned it long enough to speak on durability.