Floor for 16' Aluminum boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

edandq

Seaman Apprentice
I'm in the process of restoring a 1970 16' Aluminum Starcraft. The hull is in fantastic shape with no leaks, but the floor was shot. I removed it and amd getting ready to replace it. I've bought marine grade plywood, and will cover it with marine grade vinyl when installed. My question is this. How do I treat the wood before I lay the flooring over it, or should I? I want to keep the cost down, but just dont' know what product(s) to use.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Floor for 16' Aluminum boat

Curious about "marine grade" plywood.<br /><br />What kind of a place did you buy it from? Have read past posts saying that it doesn't really exist.<br /><br />I have always bought exterior grade construction plywood, and then saturated it with epoxy resin, as SoLittle suggested.

edandq

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I got the marine grade plywood at a local lumber store for boats (live out near Seattle)...I've read the posts supporting both for and against, and the price difference wasn't that much so I went with the marine ply. As for saturating with expoxy resin, I've never used it. Do I need to mix it? Is there a particular brand? An easy way to do it? Any tips will be wonderfull appreciated. Thanks so far for the responses!

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Is it made with BC fir or spruce? The fir is much better in the long haul under wet conditions.<br />I suppose to be marine grade, it must be fir.<br /><br />I would treat the cut edges before installing it.

edandq

Seaman Apprentice

It's made with Doug Fir... you say to treat the edges and treat before cut, are in concurrance with others and say treat with epoxy?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

missed_shot

Seaman Apprentice

go to a welding shop and have them weld an aluminum sheet the thickness of a road sign instead of wood. I had this done and no more problems. cover with carpeting .

Fly Rod

Commander

The Lund boat that I had,had pressure treated plywood and then like a vynil flooring. Held up for 6 years and the fella up street still has the same floor

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

missed_shot<br />Just curious- <br />Does the boat seem any louder without the dampening effect of plywood.<br />How is the aluminum to stand on & does it flex more than the plywood. I realize you put carpet on it.<br />And finally what was the aprox. cost.<br />Of all the posts I've read about replacing floors I've never heard about using alum. It sounds interesting.

edandq

Seaman Apprentice

Appreciate all the responses. The floor I removed was 35 years old, and it wasn't coated in epoxy. That being said, I think I'll just treat the wood, use the good glue for the vinyl, and be done with it. If it lasts 10 years, I'll be happy, doubt I'll have the boat that long. I probably could have went with a fancy composite or aluminum, but didn't think of it at the time. Now I just have to figure out how to attach the wood. I will probably just screw, I hear the add weight, but it can't be that much...

missed_shot

Seaman Apprentice

Ed - I don't think it sounds any louder than wood. I put the blue building insulation under the aluminum between the ribs. It deadens the sound and adds a little to the flotation incase I forget to put the drain plug in :D .<br />The ribs on my boat were fairly close so I have a solid floor.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

missed-shot<br />Thanks for the reply. I'll put that into the mix for deciding how to approach my spring project. The weather is going to be in the 50's this weekend. It won't be long now. :)

brightwl

Recruit

I advise against using the wood treatment used in pressure treated plywood.
It is very corrosive when put against aluminum. If you are using vinyl over
the floor the vinyl will give some good protection. I would use a latex base paint and put a couple coats especially on the edges. That will give you a good seal and not effect the bond when you put your vinyl floor down.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

5 year old thread.............

Status
Not open for further replies.