Flooded bilge.

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Simple question, Can water enter the u-joint bellows by way of a rainwater flooded bilge area? I haven't removed the drive but plan to as soon as a new gasket set arrives. I have a alpha 1 with a 3.0. Thanks Ernie

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Flooded bilge.

Yes, there is a vent hole between the drive bellows area and the interior side of the transom mount. If water gets high enough it can enter there.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I understand the question, you'd be deep in rainwater for the bilge area to fill the bellows.

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought the boat cheep because it was left uncovered for most of the summer at the dock and listed to starbord about 8 inches deeper than port. Well you know the outcome, water leaked in and soaked foam on the starbord side. I pulled up the floor and pulled the foam and replaced the deck. Boat now sits level in the water. Took out on the lake and it runs very well. Drained it and winterized it changed drive oil and thought I was done with it for the season. Last nite I woke up and had a thought about the possible chance of the water inside the bellows. I wasn't going to pull the drive till spring but don't want to chance it. We had 2 inches of snow last nite, so I quess I'm. not going to wait. Just what I wanted to do on a cold saturday. Thanks Ernie

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

So the bilge filled up with water from rain and snow? How high did it get in the bilge? Theres more than just the u joints and bearings that can be harmed by that happening. Take the plug out and leave it out so that doesnt happen again.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I wasn't going to pull the drive till spring but don't want to chance it.

I wouldn't wait till spring - if you did in fact get water in that area the longer you wait the more difficult it is going to be to remove it. Plus, since this is a "new to you" boat, it would be good to remove it to check the condition of other things like the gimbal bearing, bellows, etc. You can check the alignment while you are at it. Here's a pic showing where the vent hole is:

ventholetransom.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Last nite I woke up and had a thought about the possible chance of the water inside the bellows. I wasn't going to pull the drive till spring but don't want to chance it.

Ayuh,... My barge had bilgepump switch problems last summer, it sank in the slip, Twice....
When I mothballed it,+ pulled the drive, I found maybe a 1/2 cup of water in the bellows....
Luckily, it all cleaned up real well with no rusting or nothin',...
Something to be said about Greasey parts....;)

I figure it'll need a new Starter in the Spring... I know starters don't particulary care for Swimmin'....

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just went out after supper and you can see a waterline about half way up on the side of the oil pan. Doesn't look like it could have reached high enough to be a problem but I'm not taking any chances. I'll pull the drive tomorrow. I have an alignment tool for my OMC drive. I think I've read it will fit merc alpha 1. This is the reason I'm sure the guy sold me this chaperral in the first place. Live and Learn! Ernie

Bondo

Staff member

I have an alignment tool for my OMC drive. I think I've read it will fit merc alpha 1.

Ayuh,... They're All the Same,... Except 1 of the newest Mercruisers....

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it the same tool for the yamaha L4 drive? 3.0 motor also.

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

WOW Bond-o, sink in the slip? That could ruin your hole day! Maybe an other post, but how did you dry out that sponge material they call flotation? Even better how did you raise it from the depths? That could be a column under the ADULTS only section. Not really funny, just WOW

Bondo

Staff member

but how did you dry out that sponge material they call flotation? Even better how did you raise it from the depths?

Ayuh,... What foam,..??
I fixed the bilgepump,+ Pumped it out....

Sunk is a relative term,... The slip is only 18" deep that time of year...

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK it's saturday am and I can't standing waiting any longer. I just pulled the drive. It came off like it was put on yesterday. Everything appeared to be covered with water droplets but no standing water. U-joints look like they were replaced recently and smooth as silk, those got greased. Now I went back out and slid my hand to the gimble bearing and turned it. I take it that it shouldn't sound like corn flakes. Maybe it's the one year that merc built in a special sound effect into their bearings? Ok, this bearing appears to be held in by a snap ring, so I quess i'll have to research this further. Bellows look very good,soft and plyable. Not bad for a 28 degree morning. I assume I can tackle this job but I'm still venturing into unknown territory. Any tips will be very helpful. Thanks Ernie

Ohioriver

Seaman

The gimble bearing is a press fit into the housing, theres not a snap ring that holds it in place, I think your just seeing the outer edge of the bearing. I used a home made slide hammer to remove the gimble bearing.

Bondo

Staff member

I take it that it shouldn't sound like corn flakes. Maybe it's the one year that merc built in a special sound effect into their bearings?

Ayuh,... It should be Smooth as Silk, Without noises...

Remove the Snap-ring,+ Toss it,.. They're no longer used,+ are Unnecessary...
Grab a Slidehammer,+ Pull the bearing,...
Reinstall a new 1, then Align it to the motor...

Just make sure the grease ports line up...;)

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After cleaning it up Your right ,no retaining ring. Is that all there is to it? Don't I have to pull the housing? If so ,even I can do that.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You don't have to pull the housing. You can even "rent" for free a slidehammer at your local Autozone. It is a fairly straight forward repair.

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks to all. When I first found this ,I was ready to sink the thing. Everytime I look for trouble with this thing, I find it. I've got to stop looking!

86 century

Ensign

Look at like this find it now or it will find you later on the water. Or under it