Flip a ship

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Flip a ship

So I guess they want to make sure how deep the water is before flipping, right? :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

:eek: That contraption ranks right up at the top of the bizarre-o-meter.....

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

That is pretty cool!<br />Bet it is pretty interesting to be on while it is FLIPing. :D <br /><br />AK Chappy

brother chris

Commander

Originally posted by Drowned Rat:<br /> I wonder if it can maneuver in the "flipped" position. Weird.
yes, it can turn in any direction while it is in the upright position. I watched the whole show on it, pretty cool. <br />Everything in the ship can rotate to 90 degrees, even the toilet. <br />I wish my boat could do that!

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by brother chris:<br /> Everything in the ship can rotate to 90 degrees, even the toilet. <br />
might give me a better chance of hitting the thing :D

eeboater

Commander

Has anyone ever seen those Coasty Vessels that have the ability to self-right themselves? So if they are in the ocean, and they roll to either the port or stbd. side, it flips itself back over in a barrell roll -- amazing stuff.<br /><br />Sean

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> Has anyone ever seen those Coasty Vessels that have the ability to self-right themselves? So if they are in the ocean, and they roll to either the port or stbd. side, it flips itself back over in a barrell roll -- amazing stuff.<br /><br />Sean
Yeah, used to be on one quite a lot actually: 47 foot Waveney Class boat, design "borrowed" from USCG as I remember. Yes, it could do the full 360 barrel roll (although thankfully never with me onboard) but imagine the state of the heads then???

Drowned Rat

Captain

I used to coxswain the old 44' motor life boat. There are still a few around, but they're being replaced with the new 47' Never rolled one, but came close on more than one occasion. I've dipped the mast in the water, but the ballast did it's job and pulled it back up. Stan_Deezy. The UK Coast Guard also had or has some of the 44 footers in their fleet too that were donated from the US. There were two UK Coasties in my Heavy Weather school in Cape D. Washington. The Coast Guard also has a 52' MLB that can roll and a 30' Surf Rescue Boat too. They all use Detroit Diesels 'cause they're the only engines that'll run upside down. They originally used Cummins engines, but they puked when you flipped the boat.