Flats Fish and Ski?

onthefly81

Recruit
I am looking for a boat that I can use as an inshore, flats fishing boat as well as a ski boat. I've seen several fish and ski boats that don't have enough deck space or draft too deep. Can anyone suggest a manufacturer or make that would work as a ski boat and a skinny water flats boat? Any advise is much appreciated!

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Flats Fish and Ski?

I'm not familiar with flats boats, other than recognizing one when I see them. Not sure how much they draft, but my 20' Procraft 200 Combo says it drafts 12" with the motor raised. I can't imagine being in "skinier" water than that. The 20' has ample deck space, to me (though my only comparison is my 12' duck boat!) It's still a great ski boat. Might want to look into those by Procraft, Nitro, Triton, Skeeter, etc. Again, if they still draft too much, then I would think you would be into a true flat bottom.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

look at the Sea Hunt "Bay boats" to get an idea of what you should be looking for. There are lots of other manufacturers of the same hull. You'll note that they are very roomy and often outfitted with a lot of comfortable seating.

There is no need to limit yourself to a boat that calls itself "fish and ski" as you can do both in any boat. I have always found that term to be nonsense as a boat type.

here's the deal--for a flats boat you have low deadrise and a flat hull--even on a modified V. Therefore, they slide, and when you pull a hefty skiier, loaded tube, etc. the pulled object will pull the stern of the boat around some. No big deal for the recreational boater but you need to be aware that it's normal.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is no need to limit yourself to a boat that calls itself "fish and ski" as you can do both in any boat. I have always found that term to be nonsense as a boat type.

I don't disagree with you that you can do both on most boats.

I think the term "Fish and Ski" has a meaning, but has been over used to dilute that meaning. The term I believe originated from boats that were a modified bass boat design, to allow for more seating and conveniences. These type boats have a distinct layout and design, regardless of the maker. My Glasstream looks very similar to the other maker's Fish and Ski boats of this design. There are fiberglass versions of this design, as well as aluminum versions.

The problem is that now I see manufacturers of stern drive bowriders that have a trolling motor mounted on the bow and they call it a "fish and ski". And searching Craiglist I even see dated bowriders that people are listing as a "fish and ski" when it is simply a bowrider boat, which is the way it should be listed. To me, "fish and ski" is a hull design just like bass boat, skiff, bowrider, etc. When people apply that term to other boats then it kills the meaning. Perhaps these boats should have been called something else that wasn't as generic. There is no other term for my boats design other than "fish and ski" as far as I know.

Flyvet

Cadet

We ski behind my 18' 5" Baycraft Flats Edition. With 150 Johnson it'll pull your arms off. It's a bigger boat than the small flats skiffs but not as big as a bay boat. I would think almost any bay boat would be fine to ski behind as long as you accept that it is not a dedicated ski boat.