FlatBottoms & other Peanut Boilers

Link

Rear Admiral
Was that a catchy topic or what :) <br /><br />Told you Id check on this and did tonight<br />Raw peanuts in the shell = 1.24 per pound<br />Raw peanuts wo the shell = 1.65 per pound<br /><br />I have a very accurate scale here at home for cooking.<br />This is a per peanut count IE: most shells have two peanuts in them but not all.<br /><br />I measured out one pound of each.<br /><br />1 lb peanuts w/o shells = 85 ea or $0.019 per nut<br />1 lb peanuts with shells = 40 ea or $0.031 per nut<br /><br />So your paying a lot for them shells.<br />I'm going to give it a second shot at boiling peanuts this week. Maybe Cajun Style ;)

dolluper

Captain
Re: FlatBottoms & other Peanut Boilers

How many nuts in a pound of 1/4 inch nuts excluding the washers if you don't have anything else to do, might not go as well with the cooking though

spratt

Lieutenant

Yeah, but ya can't bile them thangs with no shells...well, I reckon ya could, but it ain't Southern to do it!!! Sartainly ain't Cajun!!!! Use LOTS of seasoning, and remember, SOAK THEM BABIES IN THE SEASONING AFORE BILIN' EM!!!!<br /><br /><br />Lemme know hwo they turn out!!! I think I am gonna do it again in a week or two meself!!

deofc

Seaman

Soak them after you boil them. They will soak up more of the flavor of whatever spice you are using. I let them soak for hours depending on how strong I want them. I use lots of Old Bay and McCormick Seasoned Salt.