Flat battery-remedy

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all, I am new to this forum<br /><br />I have experience (unfortunately) with a flat battery out on the water. Shouldn't happen but unfortunately stats show that it does.<br /><br />Attaching a rope to the flywheel should start the motor but can take some time.<br /><br />I found out that (provided there are two on board) if you have someone turn the ignition key as soon as someone pulls the rope, the battery will keep the motor turning over until it fires.<br /><br />I have only done it with a 70 hp, but it is worth trying/remembering incase you have the problem one day.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Neil

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flat battery-remedy

good idea, I hope I never need to try it though. :)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Neil, I would have agreed with you except that I have tried that and it failed. Failed because the battery may have been too far gone, or my partner hit the key at the wrong time, but the starter gear hit the flywheel and stopped it dead. After I got him off the key I was able to start the motor, almost pulling my arm out of it's socket. Did I mention that it was a 120 hp motor. Your method may work with smaller hp motors, or with batteries that have a little more juice in them. My buddy used to rope start his 70hp Chrysler all the time, he used the only battery with his trolling motor. Chief ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Get Reel.<br /><br />Welcome aboard. :) <br /><br />We post engine troubles in the engine troubles fora. I would move this there if I had an idea what engine you have.<br /><br />Let us know, and good luck :)

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class

JB<br /><br />Sorry I had a 70 Johnson O/b but that was well over 10 years ago. I have tried this trick and it works. I just put in in for general info<br />It's hard to do with a 4.3lx mercruiser though.<br /><br />Chief, are u sure your partner didn't beat u to the punch.<br /><br />Neil

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Yea Neil, I think he did beat me to the punch, when I yanked the starter gear stopped everything, but like I say the battery was real far gone and wouldn't turn the flywheel at all. <br />By the way I worked on a horse ranch about 25 years ago that was owned by an older couple from Perth. A tough lot they were. Chief ;)