Fixing Leaky Tanks

Martin Leaney

Seaman
Our 1985 Chris Craft 260 had the head and tank replace last year (before we bought it) but it looks like they did s#@!&y job of it. We have spent many hours disinfecting and cleaning the front bilge area because of the leaky black water tank!!! <br /><br />We flushed the tank out, filled it with fresh water and added red dye to verify where the leak was coming from. It appears that both the fittings going in and out of the tank are leaky. We have double clamped the hoses and applied silicone to the areas with no success. I am thinking it is the fittings themselves that have the leak. It is a plastic tank located under the V-berth.<br /><br />How do they normally install the fittings to the tank? Is there any way of easily fixing them?

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fixing Leaky Tanks

Back the fittings out and make sure there's teflon tape on there. You could also smear a bead of silicon around the fitting after you screw it back in. If they were overtightened, and the threads on the tank are stripped or cracked, replace the tank.

Martin Leaney

Seaman

Do the tanks come with a threaded hub molded into the plastic?<br /><br />Another thought: is there any kind of sealant that you could pour into the tank and slosh it around to fill the crack? (Like rad sealer - Bars Leak)

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer

I had a leak in my plastic fuel tank and bought a tube of seal all at the auto parts store. I have never seen any thing like it. It will bond to any thing and works great. I now keep it in the boat and in the house at all times,it might do the job for you and it is cheap I paid $3.50 for it.

Martin Leaney

Seaman

I pulled the tank out last night - what a stinky job that was! <br />The guys who put the new tank in for the previous owner were not the sharpest tools in the shed. I cut out 5 garbage bags full of foam to get it cleaned to the hull! <br />Now I have the tank out I can easily redo the fittings and do a proper job of re-installing it (I will pressure test it before though!).<br /><br />Thanks all - and Lucky Jim, what was the brand name of the seal all that you used?

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer

Its called Seal all it is in a yellow tube works great I wont be with out it. if you cant find it let me know and i can send you some.