Fixing cracks in a fibreglass spinner

Triton II

Commander
My little Airtourer aircraft has a 12-1/16" diameter by 13-1/4" depth fibreglass spinner. It has developed cracks over the years and I'd love to find out how viable it could be to repair it, as a new one is $924! Ouch. Any help from fibreglassing gurus appreciated...

TII

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fixing cracks in a fibreglass spinner

Huh?? Whazzat? Is there another name for it that we might recognize?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Years ago i had a friend with a kit airplane. We used his spinner as a mold to make a mold and a new spinner with polyester resin. If we could do that I don't see why one could not be repaired. Would like to see some pictures before offering any suggestions.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

JB, the spinner is the nose cone over an airplane prop.

Since the part is not stressed and load bearing, no reason you can not repair it. then again, follow what George stated, and make one by making a mold of your current one, you can even make one out of carbon fiber and epoxy

I would also look around. aircraftspruce has 12" spinners for $227

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

JB, the spinner is the nose cone over an airplane prop.

I must have known that when I was in high school. I worked as a gopher at the local airport and got paid in lessons.

Thanks for the memory jog, Scott. :)

Triton II

Commander

Thanks for the replies, I've managed to source a new one here in Oz for $270 so problem solved! Thanks again,

TII

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

That's probably the smart move. The spinner may not be load bearing but I still wouldn't want to unbalance it with adhesive or whatever else one might be tempted to use.