FIX OR REPLACE?

GUMBY

Cadet
I HAVE A LEAK IN MY TRANSOM SEAL, I WAS WONDERING SHOULD I TRY TO FIX IT BY SEALING IT WITH SILICONE OR SHOULD I TAKE THE TIME TO REPLACE IT. IT'S ON AN '83 BEACHCRAFT WITH OMC MOTOR & 800 STERNDRIVE?<br /><br />THANKS,<br />GUMBY

Dunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: FIX OR REPLACE?

Serria, through NAPA auto parts or West Marine sells these OMC boots for about 100 bucks. There's too much water washing around while the boat is moving to trust silicone or even 5200. If the boot go's she'll sink in seconds, not minutes. I'd spend the yard and fix it right. Cheaper than letting her sink first.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: FIX OR REPLACE?

So you've got a son-of-a Beachedcraft too, eh? Hmmm... Well, I suggest you check your transom for dry rot before getting too excited about sinking anymore money into it. Take it from me! <br /><br />Hopefully, all you'll need to do is replace the outdrive boot...but I'd sure check the condition of that transom... And I couldn't agree more with Dunk about the importance of not trusting silicone.<br /><br />Walt<br /><br />PS In my case, however, it would have been much cheaper to let 'er sink!