Fix one problem create 2 new ones

borourke

Seaman
Recently purchased a SeaRay 230 SunDancer LTD. Like the boat but had a hard time getting it on and off the trailer and the boat also never sat all the way up in the bow stop.<br /><br />During a loading experience I ended up spliting one of the bunks and decided I needed to replance all the bunks. Since replacing the bunks I can load and unload the boat like a dream. Here is the problem...<br /><br />Now the boat sits all the way up in the bow stop and in doing so the bow stop crushed the silver clam shell vent cover on the bow. When unloading the boat the next time it took the vent off and dragged a screw all the way up the bow. Not a performance or safty issue, but it sure looks pretty bad.<br /><br />Here are my questions. Does anyone know where to get a bow stop that has a opening in the middle with two stops or rollers on the top and bottom. I have seen these on many boats but have had no luck in locating one? (iBoats, West Marine, Overton's, etc...)<br /><br />Also does anyone know what the whole under the clam shell vent is for? If it is not very important I would just as soon fill in the hole and call it a day.<br /><br />Which brings up my last question. Any suggestions on what to use to fill in the hole and fixs the scratch? I am not a very mechanical person so I am looking for a some what easy to do repair. Any sugestions appreciated. <br /><br />I got some feedback from the trailer board, but hoping the regulars on this board can provide some additional information.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Fix one problem create 2 new ones

I would find out what that particular hole is for before you do any filling.It can be a drain,a vent who knows without checking.If it is either one you dont want to be eliminating it.Why dont you just move the bow stop lower ??????Charlie

borourke

Seaman

In looking at my trailer I can not see a way to adjust the bow stop. It is attached to a metal mount that is welded to the trailer and does not move. I also do not see any ability to slide the bow stop up or sown on the post as it has a fix top where the bolt goes through.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Normally that clam shell would be covering the vent hole for the anchor rope locker, needs air when you put that wet rope back in or all kinds of things start growing in there. Usually that metal mount is bolted and the bow stop allowing both to be adjustable for different boats.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Brian,it may require some drilling to relocate the stop in a different place or you can cut off the bracket and reattach it lower.Charlie

borourke

Seaman

I am hoping to not do any significant work on the trailer as it would be a significant overhall except for installing a new bow stop. <br /><br />Boating Bob, I think you are right about the purpose of the hole as it lines up directly with the anchor locker. Look like I can fill in current hole and re drill another or keep existing hole and find a barbell bow stop.<br /><br />Anyone have any thoughts on where to find a bow stop about 1ft long with a bow stop on eiter end keeping the middle open for the bow eye and clam shell vent?<br /><br />Thanks

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

You may be able to change the bow height on the trailer by adjusting the front or back bunk support brackets. That will change the angle of the boat and either raise or lower the bow. Good luck and take your time when loading and unloading the boat. Slow down and inspect the situation to avoid busting up the boat and/or trailer every time you take it out.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Brian, I have seen bow stops that are two v-shaped pieces of rubber, mounted (vertically) to a piece of steel, such that there is space between the two v blocks for your vent. I would go to a trailer dealer and see if he has what you need, or if you can find a couple of rollers or something you could substitute for the blocks.<br /><br />Alternatively, why not make your self a piece of wood to replace the rubber block. It really doesn't need to be rubber! it would seem to me that some 1X2 attached to a 2X4 ought to be good for something!

borourke

Seaman

Thanks Chris, I have looked at a couple of Marina's in town and none seem to know what I am talking about, or they don't know where to get it. Any thoughts on trailer dealers that have web sites or anything similar that I can order from? I have been looking for a while with no luck.<br /><br />As for why I don't build something my self, let me just start by saying my wife will not allow me to pull out power tools anymore..... 8^)