Fix one problem create 2 new ones

borourke

Seaman
This ia a multi subject post, but mostly has to do with my trailer. Let me explain. Recently purchased a SeaRay 230 SunDancer LTD. Like the boat but had a hard time getting it on and off the trailer and the boat also never sat all the way up in the bow stop.<br /><br />During a loading experience I ended up spliting one of the bunks and decided I needed to replance all the bunks. Since replacing the bunks I can load and unload the boat like a dream. Here is the problem...<br /><br />Now the boat sits all the way up in the bow stop and in doing so the bow stop crushed the silver clam shell vent cover on the bow. When unloading the boat the next time it took the vent off and dragged a screw all the way up the bow. Not a performance or safty issue, but it sure looks pretty bad.<br /><br />Here are my questions. Does anyone know where to get a bow stop that has a opening in the middle with two stops or rollers on the top and bottom. I have seen these on many boats but have had no luck in locating one? (iBoats, West Marine, Overton's, etc...)<br /><br />Also does anyone know what the whole under the clam shell vent is for? If it is not very important I would just as soon fill in the hole and call it a day.<br /><br />Which brings up my last question. Any suggestions on what to use to fill in the hole and fixs the scratch? I am not a very mechanical person so I am looking for a some what easy to do repair. Any sugestions appreciated.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fix one problem create 2 new ones

Don't fill in the hole till you find out what it's for! If it vents fuel vapors it could be required by law not to mention safety. When you get ready to fill it in, I used Marine-tex (West Marine) to repair deep scratches & gouges on my hull. Kind of pricy ($27 for 18 oz.) but easy to use 2-part fiberglass putty; mix it up and it stays where you put it, workable for a good half-hour, cures completely in 24 hours and you don't have to build up in layers for a thick application. Bonds completely to the hull & can be sanded smooth. Wear latex gloves, especially if you wear contact lenses.<br /><br />good luck,<br />jtw