Fix it or strip it.

Ocean31@bellsouth.net

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1976 Mercury 402, 40hp. This engine came with a old boat I am redoing.

My question is, strip the engine down for parts, or put the engine back on line? I have no real need for the engine, I have two spare 70hp outboards sitting on stands and ready to go. I am not sure which would be more marketable, selling the 402 as a whole (it needs at a minimum a carb clean) or strip it down for parts,

Any input, I heard these engines are a dime a dozen, but not sure about that/

Thanks
JSB

ROZTAZ

Recruit
Re: Fix it or strip it.

I It Was Me You Should Sell Complete If Running If Not Runnig Part I Out Put Parts Online They Should Go Quick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If it can be made to run decently for not too much coin, I'd fix it and sell it whole.

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a darn good bussiness selling parts on e-bay

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

A similar situation here with a 1978 Merc 500 (50 hp) that I'm not using. I put a smaller motor on the boat and now the 50 hp is just sitting there.

Selling on ebay is a lot of work, and one often does not get a good price for parts. Once a few parts are stripped off, the motor becomes useless as a motor. Undecided myself.

Ocean31@bellsouth.net

Seaman Apprentice

Outstanding thoughts everyone, and exactly where I am.

Selling on ebay would seem to be the way to go, no one really needs the engine, and I would have to purchase a carb kit, probably a manual, fuel line fitting and so on to get the engine running.

But not getting a decent price for the parts is also very real, I purchased a locked up 4hp late 80s Johnson for the exteneded shaft, sold most of the remaining parts on ebay, but buyers wanted the parts for the shippng cost only, As an example I ended up selling the recoil starter for 5 dollars.

I guess I will just sit in the engine for awhile, but if anyone knows of someone needing a 402 40hp, complete engine, or parts please let me know, I would rather someone from this forum get the engine/parts then someone off ebay.

Thanks again for all the input.

JSB

lindy46

Captain

Call me sentimental, but if an old motor has good compression, there is, to me, a certain satisfaction in bringing it back to life and putting it back into service. When I consider my time, I probably don't make a dime on the motors I refurbish and resell, and I could probably make more money off the parts. But I hate to see these old gems torn apart when there is still life in them.:) And hey, I'm retired - gotta have a hobby.