Fix chipped paint or do a wrap?

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a 16.5ft triton for $300 and it has some pretty good chips out of the gelcoat and paint. Would you recommend to get it fixed or fill the areas and put a vinyl over it?
triton3.jpegtriton2.jpegtriton1.jpeg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have a lot of fiberglass work to do before you could even re-gel, paint, or even put a decal over it.

you have structural fiberglass issues

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So it would be best to take it to a fiberglass repair shop before anything?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... It needs repair, 'n iboats is a Diy site, but it's yer call, as to who fixes it,.....

My guess is, if you pay somebody else to fix it, it'll be the most expensive boat you'll ever own,....

briangcc

Commander
Umm....any chance you could give it back? Cause that hit dock pilings hard and repeatedly from the looks of things. To do that kind of damage I wager you've got structural issues.

ahicks

Captain
The trailer & seats alone are worth the $300 I paid for it.
That's fine if you are planning on piecing out your purchase.
My thought is that has little to do with how to proceed if you plan on repairing it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
start by looking here

read links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in that order and in their entirety.

shrew

Lieutenant
That is not 'chipped paint'. That looks like gelcoat heavily cracked and delaminating from the fiberglass. You can't wrap that, and I doubt anyone would wrap it in that condition anyway.

To me, you paid someone $300 to dispose of a totaled boat for them. Part it out to recover your $300, then take a chainsaw to it and deliver it to your landfill barrel by barrel.