Fishing with Dad!

LadyFish

Admiral
My Dad has been down visiting one of my sisters since the 17th of December. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to spend any more than 3 separate 45 minute sessions with him because of a strained relationship with that sister.<br /><br />Yesterday, I went and picked him up, said I would bring him home after dark and we spent the day together. I didn't tell Dad what we might be doing so we headed back to the house. I stopped along the way to get bait and told him, "Dad, I'm taking you fishing".<br /><br />Although, at 75 years of age and the fact that I was always the troubled child, I'm sure he was visualizing the worst about what his crazy daughter was about to do...... sooooooooooooooo, he didn't seem too thrilled about it at the time. I didn't let it stop me, we got back to the house, I loaded up a cooler and the boat with all the necessary gear and we headed out.<br /><br />I took the time to explain all the equipment to him in order to make him feel safe, but on the way out the main canal, he said "You know, I can imagine a father and son going fishing together, but I never imagined a father and one of his daughters, its just not natural and its really not ladylike. Boy times sure have changed. I didn't think women would get into this sort of thing". I just rolled my eyes and stayed on track. Dad and I have only seen eachother about 4 times in the last 30 years.<br /><br />I told him to "hang on Dad, I'm going to plane off" as we approached the channel markers. He tried standing and decided to sit after a bit. It wasn't rough, actually it was a beautiful day in the upper 70's winds about 8 out of the SE.<br /><br />I followed the GPS without fail to a new fishing hole we discovered awhile back. You are almost guaranteed to catch in this spot and I didn't want Dad to think I couldn't put him on fish, since I was already challenged to prove to him women can an do fish and pilot boats and enjoy doing it too.<br /><br />Almost immediately after I baited him up and he sunk his hook, he had one on. Honestly, he caught 12 fish to my 3. And, each and every time, I had to take the fish off and bait his hook. Now that was something I hadn't expected. All of a sudden, I got a really good hit, I knew it was a speck, and one I didn't want to lose. Well try telling him to get his line outta the way LMAO, anyway, I knocked over his beer and mine, my hat went flying off, my sunglasses when into the baitwell as I was trying to get past him to get the net. I knew I'd have to net the thing myself and I truly didn't want to lose this fish.<br /><br />I managed througout the histeria to grab the net while Dad and his line were under me, LMAO and net my trout. It was a good 20"+, nice keeper. We both laughed histerically about the Chinese Fire Drill that just happened in order to get this fish in the boat. I'm sure Dad thought this is what generally happens not realizing that HE was the cause for all the commotion. LOLOLOL<br /><br />Anyway, I had to use the pottie, so I told him, Dad keep your eye on the lines and to the back of the boat. Sure enough the second I pulled my pants down, both lines went off at the same time. He screamed "what do I do? What do I do?" He pulled his line in first, then mine and counted them both as his catches. LOLOLOL<br /><br />Anyway, we headed back to the house and I showed him how to filet a fish. Then I made a big fish fry with hushpuppies, frys, slaw, and fried shrimp and invited our daughter, SIL and the kiddos.<br /><br />And, whether Dad thinks what I do is ladylike or not, I hope he went away with the same feeling I did, a fond memory of a beautiful day with one of his daughters.<br />
39.gif

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fishing with Dad!

Nice story, LF :) .....I wish my Dad were around for that kind of stuff :( ....JK

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by Haut Medoc:<br /> Nice story, LF :) .....I wish my Dad were around for that kind of stuff :( ....JK
My thoughts exactly HM. I wasn't going to miss an opportunity to share some time with him :)

heycods

Captain

Twas a truley memorable day . I can tell you enjoyed it. :)

cntrydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As usual, great story LF. What a great day!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Thats a great story LF. I could imagin every detail. Im also sure it makes us all think about someone we love. Thanks for sharing,