fishing poles

redd64

Recruit
my father just recently passed away at the age of 81 - he always loved fishing, primarily salt water. we recently sold his boat but he has a ton of fishing lures, hooks, poles and reels. I think we have sorted thru and identified the freshwater vs salt water poles but my question is is there a rule of thumb to determine the difference b/t salt and fresh lures and hooks (and for that matter poles and reels, in case we aren't right). the second question is is there a rule of thumb or a way to determine the value of the poles and reels - we expect to sell them but want to get what they are worth. i think there are some old bamboo poles, too.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
Re: fishing poles

1st take the lures that remind you of Dad and mount them on a plaque for you to remember him by.<br /><br /> Saltwater lures/hooks are generally much heavier (for casting further) and larger then freshwater lures. He probably did not mix the two either keeping them in seperate boxes - there would be no real use in carrying fresh water lures to the ocean and vice versa.<br /><br />Musky/salmon lures can also look alot like saltwater lures.<br /><br />the best way to get a value is to get an auction company to come in and look at the gear - this will lower the total amount that you will get but you dont have to deal with individual items.<br /><br />2nd best is to look up each item on ebay and see what they have sold for in the past.<br /><br />3rd - If he had fishing friends or belonged to a club advertise there - as his friends may also like some of his stuff.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Yep, get someone knowledgeable to look at them. The prices can vary considerably on the make and model of rod and reel

BUBBLES II

Seaman Apprentice

If the old bamboo poles are identifiable fly rods, they could be worth $$$$$. If they are freshwater baitcasters, they could be worth $$. If they are saltwater, e.g. Montague, they are probably worth $. Many wooden plugs can be worth $$$$. Some odds and ends are very rare. Some things aren't worth much at all. ebay is something to compare with. You have to know what it is. If someone quickly offers to buy the lot, get a second opinion. There are many collectors with their own websites. Just search "old fishing tackle". Some have very specific interests. Some want to buy everything. I think you should keep a few, at least, and pass them down to your kids or grandkids. We're talking about your dad's lifetime collection. I always bring an old, rusty pocket knife fishing with me. It was my dad's. It's not worth any money, but it's priceless to me.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

When my dad passed away I was given his fishing gear and boat. Several of the spoons he had I still use although he fished the ocean and I the Great Lakes. The funny thing about it is while he was alive and I grown with kids of my own I rarely fished. Since his passing I revived his boat, Restored one of my own and now fish almost every weekend. There is one spoon that has never let me down. I catch Salmon on this spoon just about every time I put it in the water. You might try taking the kids fishing with some of this gear before parting with it if you have kids. You never know.

Laotzu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dangerdan, I'm originally from Chicago and was surprised to hear you catch salmon in the great lakes. All we ever caught in Lake Michigan was perch, herring, and smelt. Guess the reason is that I doubt if salmon would survive in the Chicago river if they went there to spawn. Only thing I ever saw in there were "whitefish".<br /><br />Jerry

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude.....Lake Michigan have some Killer Salmon and Trout fisheries. If you like fishing you should really look into a charter. I see your in Washington, Some awsome Salmon fishing in Washington. Look into it or email me at DangerDan60@aol.com & I'll take ya if your ever in my area (St. Joe Mi.) It might revive the old fishing lust inside you. All I can say is if you charter a boat. or fish with me and get hooked, Heaven help your wallet!!!

redd64

Recruit

thank you to everyone for their advice and suggestions. my apologies for not replying until now. i have an 11 mth old daughter who is keeping me very busy in addition to sorting thru dad's old fishing stuff not to mention the disaster of a garage he left (he was such a packrat-never threw anything away - old yankee! love him so much, tho)and working thru our grief...i also didn't do much fishing with him while he was on this earth and in the last couple of years he didn't either but i do have great memories of the times we did go and just going on the boat as a child and fishing in the local pond. i have the freshwater stuff-my sister and i divided-we have 4 ponds on our property so they will come in handy-and i will keep a couple of salt water rods, rels and some lurs to join my father-in-law fishing in his town of jamestown,ri; the idea of making a memory board of him is great-i am thinking of making a shadow box containing some of his lures (unfortunately i don't know what his favorites were or the ones he used when he made a substantial catch but i will find something cool) and i have some pix of him with his catches and the last boat he had (my cousin bought the boat so at least it is still in the "family")and my mom let me keep whatever else i wanted. And i am sure when my daughter gets older my husband and i will take her fishing with the rods we keep. thanks again for all the ideas. it is greatly appreciated.