fishing licenses

ES

Recruit
New to ocean sailing. When out to sea, do you need to have a fishing license? Where do the boundries lie?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: fishing licenses

You need to be a little more specific as each state's regs are different.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Being from Arizona you will probably be fishing off the California coast. If you have any fishing gear in your boat you had better have a lisence out to 200 miles unless you happen to fish on one of our two free fishing days.

ES

Recruit

So, what I think I am hearing you say is the boarder lines are 200 miles out. Then I am in international waters?
So, If I am traveling all along the west coast I will need a licence for Oregon and Washington states as well? What about Mexican waters? Is a fishing license obtainable there, if I reside in the US?
Thank you for your time,
ES

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Being from Arizona you will probably be fishing off the California coast. If you have any fishing gear in your boat you had better have a lisence out to 200 miles unless you happen to fish on one of our two free fishing days.

Anything over 3 miles from the beach is federally regulated waters. You only need federal permits applicable to the targeted species in your posssion since there is no Federal fishing license. Once your inside the 3 miles limit a States regulations take precedence.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

The problem is, I'm assuming that one will eventually have to come whitin three miles of shore. I live on the California, Oregon border and take for example silver salmon. It is not legal to posses silvers in California waters no matter what liscence you hold but you can in Oregon if you have an Oregon liscense. What happens is California fishermen end up killing about three silvers for every king salmon they can legally catch but, thats another story.