fishing Lake Michigan

crazyfish

Recruit
I just purchased an 18' deep v with a 150 horse motor.I would like to try fishing Lake Michigan out of Chicago. However, I have fished my whole life, but never the big lake. I could use some advice for getting started.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: fishing Lake Michigan

Hi Crazy Fish.. welcome to I boats<br /><br />what species? <br /><br />what port?<br /><br />what presentation technique (most likely trolling I'm guessing)<br /><br />do you have any equipment yet? <br /><br />do you have a kicker motor?

kball

Cadet

You need to forget about that Lake Michigan stuff and bring that thing out here to IA.

crazyfish

Recruit

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> Hi Crazy Fish.. welcome to I boats<br /><br />what species? <br /><br />what port?<br /><br />what presentation technique (most likely trolling I'm guessing)<br /><br />do you have any equipment yet? <br /><br />do you have a kicker motor?

crazyfish

Recruit

I am fishing out of the Chicago area.<br /><br />We are locking for any fish that bites, lakers, salmon, perch, walleye, bass.<br /><br />Trolling, casting, or whatever works would be the presentation.<br /><br />We do not have a kicker yet, but we do have a troller<br /><br />All of our equipment is for inland lake or river fishing. We have no experience fishing the open water and are looking for a good place to start.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Get yourself some good electronics, including a radio or two, so you can be safe and monitor what the other fishermen are saying.<br /><br />Plan on spending the first day or two just hanging at the ramp talking to others, checking out equipment, and boating around, maybe fishing a little.<br /><br />See how your boat (and your head/stomach) handles the big water. It is also cold out there on the big pond. You may find it is not for you. <br /><br />Visit a sport/fishing show, now is the time for that.<br /><br />Consider going out on a chartered day trip to learn how to rig and use downriggers and dipsy-divers.<br /><br />Then decide what equipment you need and how much you are willing to spend, and if your boat is up to it. Most of the big fish will be out in 100-300' deep water, down 30-80', for much of the summer.<br /><br />Can't help you with Chicago, but nice ports in Kenosha and Racine.<br /><br />Stay out of the way of the BIG boats.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

There ya go, roscoe gave some good sound advice and a boat load of links it looks like.<br /><br />I've spent countless hours on the pond but north west of you from Racine all the way up the peninsula.. majority is out of the Sheboygan Harbor tho.<br /><br />I'd start out with a 4 rod set-up on your boat until you get a feel for things.. you can go more If ya want but, it could get messy real quick.<br /><br />- REELS: line counters w/#20 premium Ande mono. <br />You can pick up Okuma Magda 30D -or- 30DX reels at @ $35-$40 ea. .. line capacity is @ 350yrds w/that line which is plenty<br /><br />- RODS: go with 8'-8'6" 2-pc trolling glass rods with a ML action .. plenty of beef and give.<br /><br />- DIVERS: Slide-Divers are my choice they allow you to vary your leed length and are attatched with the line running through the diver not tied to it like Dipsey's.. 'same thing just different' and improved over a Dipsey.<br /><br />- PLANNER BOARDS: simple yellow birds work well remember, colors go left(red) and right(green)<br /><br />- BAITS: this is a constant thing that changes and is place and situation specific. Dodger(or flasher)/fly combinations have been popular producers .. so have J-plugs (and similar) but, I have to say my confidence has been in spoons based on the ratios I've encountered. <br /><br />- SPEED: this will vary.. usually hovering @ 1.8 - 2.2 <br /><br />** you should be able to find a solid older tiller steer 6-10hp kicker motor @$400-500 to get going.<br /><br />Its all arguable information but it'll give you an idea anyways..<br /><br />one thing roscoe mentioned was to get out on a charter boat. .. I can't emphasise how much this will help with getting to know the systems out there and specific details.. this would be the best investment you could make.. or find a fishing club or boat club and ask the guys if they want another body on board.. usually they'll say yes if your nice about it... Gives 'em another three rods in the water to play with.