Fishing in Va/Md/DC

skynyrdmate

Recruit
Hey everyone, me and my buddies are getting a small bayliner capri, for fishing mostly.We all live in northern Va and need somewhere we can take the boat out thats close(within 15-20 minutes). The obvious choice is the potomac, but since we're all fairly new to this we wanted to take it somewehre else to start with. Does anyone have any ideas?

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fishing in Va/Md/DC

In northern VA I would buy something flat bottom with a small motor, 9.9 or preferably less. Here's why. I lived down there about eight years ago. And, at least back then, some of the good fishing lakes didn't allow gas motors, so it's nice to have a light boat you can pull around with a trolling motor, or in my case at the time, with oars. Hey, stop laughing. Now the reason you want a small cheap motor; many of the river bottoms down there are great cover for fish, but hard on boat motors. And the river levels are constantly up and down. I would say I probably hit at least one rock every time out. My record was three in one afternoon. But you know what, I didn't care. I had a 7.5 hp Sears Gamefisher, and ever time I nailed a rock, the pin at the prop shaft sheared, and I put another one in. Pins were cheap, I'd buy them buy the dozen. The motor would always re-start, never got stuck. That boat cost me $200 to buy, I had it for three years and never put any money into it except for gas and shear pins. Now I'm in a 60 hp deep V Tracker, it's a different world. This one costs money to run, and I would never put it into three quarters of the places I used to fish down there because I'd wreck it. There is certain feeing of freedom you have when you’re not worried about prop strikes; and fishing is just more fun when it doesn’t cost a lot of money.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fishing in Va/Md/DC

OK, your question was "where to fish", not "what boat to buy". Sorry, I got carried away. I lived close to Leesburg so I spent allot of my time in the Shenandoah, and bounced around to a bunch of the different area lakes and ponds. Caught allot of bass and pan fish. The river was a blast, almost always caught fish. The rocky bottom created a ton of cover for fish. There was a new ledge or massive rock every 25 feet as we drifted, who ever got the first good cast down in between the next set of ledges, or to the base of the next big rock would almost always get a fish. I can only think of one day when I didn't get fish on that river. It was fun. But you could never get a Bayliner into most of the spots I fished. That’s why I pushed the flat bottom in the last post.