Fishing in Key West

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class
My wife and I are driving to Key West for a long weekend at the end of the month. We're fairly avid fishermen(women) in NJ during the summer, so we thougth we'd bring our rods and try to catch something in Key West. Whats down there? We're bringing our two small dogs, so I'd like to fish somewhere where the dogs are allowed. Any ideas? If we can't find any dog friendly places, I'll rent a small boat. <br /><br />-Aaron

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Fishing in Key West

:) Hello AaronG!!!<br /><br />I'm heading down that way tomorrow,friday, Jan. 7th!!! Not going quite that far down, but we did visit Key West for a few hrs. last year!! We generally stay around Islamorada or Marathon !! This year we are staying in Marathon!!! the place we are staying is called Rainbowbend.com Don't know if they are dog friendly!!! If intersted here is a phone # 1-800-929-1505 Included in the price is the use of a 15' boat every day that you are their and you just supply the gas!!! There are not many public beaches in the Keys!!! My wife needs a beach!!! coming back on the 13th if intersted will let ya know how it is!!!! And this place is about a one hour ride to Key West!!! <br /><br />Get in touch with the local chamber of commerce by computer!! They should all have a web site and they should have names & phone# of motels etc: and maybe they could guide you to dog friendly places!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />If not fishing with a guide, I believe you need a salt water fishing license!!!

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rainbowbend sounds better then where I am staying (redroosterinn.com). I made the reservations in september while I was dreading the onset of the winter blues. I've never been to Florida, so its all new to me. The place I am staying is dog friendly. I like the idea of including a boat with your room. I had heard about the salt water license, but a 1 (or 3, I forget )day license isn't too expensive. <br /><br />Let me know how your trip goes and whether you can bring dogs to your place. <br />Most important, have a good time!

phatmanmike

Captain

i have personally stayed at rainsbow bend a few times. the rooms are nice and rooky. not your average hotel room, more like staying in a small apartment with living room and kitchen and such.<br /><br />the boats are boston whalers and motors are small merc 25's<br /><br />they give you free breakfast, the full deal, not just the stupid bagel and coffee. i had pancakes and sausage and eggs and OJ last time i was there.<br /><br />they also give you kayaks, snorkel gear and lots of water and beach toys for free whuile youre there, in addition to the boats. they are in marathon.<br /><br />do yourself a REALL BIG favor. unless your pocket books are really fat, dont stay in key wesy, stay in marathon or silamarada and then just VISIt key west. its too touristy and really expensive down there.<br /><br />email me direct if you like, ill tell ya whatever ya wanna know.<br /><br />dont forget the good ol"camping on the beach"<br /><br />but as far as fish, well there are groupers, baracuda, snappers, doplhin, permit, i mean, the list is endless........<br /><br />anything you wanna eat is down there. but remeber the new lobster law prohibits anybodt from harvesting lobster less than 300 feet from shore.<br /><br />have fun. im jealous

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Back from the Florida Keys and had a great trip, the wife soaking up the sun and me fishing from land and sea!!!!! A very windy week!!!<br /><br />Went out on a party boat that has a capacity of 40 people, but only 15 of us on board the morning that I went out of Marathon called, "Marathon Lady!!!" Plenty of yellowtail and snapper were caught!!! I had a half dozen of black and red grouper, but just under the legal size of 24"!!! I was catching the grouper on live pintails that I had bought at a bait shop!!! Anybody going on a party boat down there, it is best to make arrangements the day before to be gaurranteed a spot on the stern!!!! ;) :cool:

LadyFish

Admiral

Sounds like you had a great trip Flyrod. I'm sure it was a nice break from the cold weather too. :cool: