fishing gear online? Do you buy online or local

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: fishing gear online? Do you buy online or local

I buy local. Not necessarily because of the prices but because when I go back for bait and tackle I get treated better it seems than someone who doesn't normally shop there. They let me know what the fish are hitting rather than just let me buy blind. Plus it helps my local small shop owners.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I buy locally at Academy Sports. Their prices are consistently cheaper than others [even Wal-mart on the same items] and they carry quality merchandise. If you have one near you, it's worth a trip.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I purchase alot of my tackle from local guys when I can. Some things I use just don't make it to the shelves and I have to order them on the net. Usually try and support the tackle shops where I actually fish. Some I get to know and others I don't frequent enough to get on a first name basis. If I like the shop I support them. Most local shops are your best bet for reasons put forth by mikecjn. I have found that most of the prices in the local shops and even Walmart/BassProWorld are actually competitive on alot of items. So, its a matter of what it is and where I am going to fish. Local shops first, then if they don't have it or stock it.... I order it from a great source overseas. Always delivered as fast as US sources. Internet can be handy.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I buy 95% of my stuff locally!!!<br /><br />Seems to me that ya do get treated better and sometimes if ya know your prices they take a buck or two off the item!!!! ;) :cool:

LubeDude

Admiral

On Line, Ebay and others, only because this area where I live has REALLY PIZZ PORE TACKLE SHOPS.

Tom2697

Seaman Apprentice

I buy most items locally to develop a good rapport. Because of this, the person behind the counter usually will tell me where the fleet has been seeing the fish. Often on big-ticket items, I can find a better deal online. I'll then talk with the local guy about it and if they can, they'll meet the price. If not and the difference is large enough, I'll go buy it online.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I use blackbeard in Orleans(Cape Cod)and Specs(Worcester,MA) for all my salt water needs.Kmart is fine for fresh water.