Fishing Cape Ann

Fly Rod

Commander
Pods of birds are working close to shore, grabbing the tidbits and morsels of small bait fish being chewed upon by bluefish and stripers as they start their migration south. This migration will last into the middle of October. Big stripers are being caught, some in the 40-50lb range.

Further off shore the whales are working the sand eels. There are humpbacks, minkees and finbacks as well, but it is the humpbacks that put on the show, breeching out of the water. Sometimes these whales will be just a couple of miles off shore feeding on the inshore bait fish.

The giant bluefin tuna fishermen had a good week with a dozen giants landed this week, bringing an average price of 13 bucks a pound.

As the weather cools, the cod and haddock will be moving closer to shore. As of October 1st cod fishing will be closed to everyone below the 4230 and 7015 line, also by the end of November cod fishing will end for the recreational fisherman I think till march.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Fishing Cape Ann

Hello Flyrod.
It has been a while.I did read your other posts,but since they were mostly just informational,I did not react to them.
This time however,you are talking about the great migration of stripers and nothing on the east coast is as impressive as that one.
When the stripers or the blues push a school of bait fish into the shore, pandemonium breaks loose.The water boils with birds diving in and out, while fishermen can be seen running to the shore.To witness the blues blitzing while tuna races around less than a hundred yards from shore is an event that makes one feel humble,yet at the same time proud that it happens again. It was almost lost due to our lack of respect for the gifts of the sea.
Out on lake Ontario the king salmon is about to make their spawning runs.
To see a creek with so much salmon in it that you can practically walk across the creek without getting your feet wet,is a sight to behold.
You should come and try for salmon.If you think that a striper is a fighter,you will find out that, pound for pound, salmon outfights the striper easily.
There is a fair chance that I will come to Gloucester before the end of November to do some pollock and haddock fishing.
I'll be in touch.