Fishing Cape Ann

Fly Rod

Commander
Well, the striper fishing here has come and gone till next June and deep sea fishing for cod and haddock will come to an end for most. Here in Massachusetts cod fishing will close at the end of November for all recreational fishing and party boats and will reopen in March, this is a new rule.

Mackeral have been in abundance around Cape Ann and there has been Giant Bluefin Tuna busting the surface chasing the Mac's. Now with Thanksgiving and winter drawing near, the boats put away till Spring we turn to hunting whitetail deer in Maine.

Have a GREAT DAY!!!!

ManOfwar690

Seaman
Re: Fishing Cape Ann

hmm im still getting out of newburyport with my 20ft center console and havent heard about any closures???? and im out every day on the bruno

rolmops

Vice Admiral

You can go out and catch pollock and haddock as much as you like,but you are only allowed to keep 2 cod of at least 24 inch per person on the boat.This is for recreational charters.Commercial fisherman have bigger political clout and they are allowed to catch anything with fins in their gill nets

Fly Rod

Commander

who in their right mind is going to hire a charter to go catch 2 cod!!!!!!

Rolmops that new rule has put kevin twrombly out of business for the winter.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello Flyrod,long time no see.
Kevin lucked out.It is true that the cod is off limits,but there are huge schools of pollock on the banks.
I'll fight a 15 pound pollock anyday over winching up a 40 pound cod.Truth be told,a cod is good eating but very lame fishing.

Fly Rod

Commander

Happy New Year rolmops!!!

Hope everything is well with U & your family.

Being from a fishing family we would never eat cod or pollock, was always considered a trash fish. Today in the fish market they are getting 9 bucks a pound. When I was young my friends and I would fill a G I can with pollock fishing from the wharf and it would only take a couple of hours of fishing and we gave them away. Also in them days the Annisquam River would be loaded with Mackerel skimming along the surface and I would wait for a boat to go by. The wake would force the mackerel against the slanted rocks and I would scoop a mackerel with a pie box cover, no hooks. Them days are long gone.