Fishing Cape Ann

Fly Rod

Commander
:) The "BIG" stripers are in, no more playing around with the little guys!!! Stripers in the 40+ inch size are being caught daily, well lets say when the weather isn't nassssty!!!! <br /><br />There has been plenty of mackeral around and Saturday came the on slaught of blue fish!!! Hard to get a line with live bait in the water without the blue fish chomping it in half!!!!<br /><br />Now that the blues are here and will drive the macks north, we will be using herring chunks and chumming, which will bring in the dogfish!!! On an average 4hr trip we will catch 30-40 dogfish while fishing for stripers!!!! ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Fishing Cape Ann

Hello Flyrod,<br />Thanks for the thumbs up,I will be getting my fair share of the doggies in a week or 2.<br />Did you ever try 3 or 5 ounce squid jigs? You can chum,but the dogs will not touch the jigs.The blues will but they cannot damage them so you should give them a try.I used one under a school of porgies last summer and it performed in a spectacular way.It produced a 36 pound/45 inch striper.The picture is still in Blackbeard's store in Orleans.<br />Anyways,good to hear from you again.<br />Oh yes,something else.There is a book in the stores now called;"The Secret Life Of Lobsters" It is a joy to read,you should give it a try.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Hello rolmops!!! How ya been??? nice hearing from ya!!!<br /><br />Never used squid jigs for stripers!!! You talking about the squid jigs with a bunch of bards on the bottom???<br /><br />Always been a live bait or chunk bait fisherman!!! ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello again Richard,<br />These jigs I talk about look a bit like squid.<br />They are not the ones you catch squid with.They really are a life saver when the dogs are infesting your honey holes.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) My "On The Water Magazine" came today and I think it had an article about the squid jig you may be talking about!! Is it called "The Squid-zee???<br /><br />Lure is 4-6" long, single hook and this one in the book has saddle hackle or deer hair!!!<br /><br />What is the favorite color??? ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

That is the one.<br />I mostly use a darkish green.But that is only in water between 25 and 40 feet.If you are deeper in the column you may wish to go with green and a white stripe.They have them with 3 and 5 ounce heads,dependent on the strength of current and depth you fish at.I have always used them wire line trolling and jigging and the same time ,creating the impression of a squid or shrimp fleeing a predator.<br />Try it,the dogs do not bother it.