fishfinder for shallow salt water fishing

redmann

Recruit
I have a 14 foot boat that I use to fish the coast of southern CA. So far I haven't fished more than 50 feet. Some of the spots get up to 90 feet. I don't anticipate getting deeper than 100.

I also fish in lakes every now and then and same as salt water I probably won't fish deeper than 100 feet.

I'd appreciate any information as to what type of fishfinder to get and for what reason.

Thanks!

Brian

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: fishfinder for shallow salt water fishing

Your not into deep water until your in the 300-400' range and your not into shallow water until your under 36". Most units will work fine on anything in between.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I've been looking for the same thing. As part of my research I swing by the Shelter Island launch ramp most time I go to the West Marine store. Look for boats coming in, fitted with electronics. Most guys happy to chat when they are on the way in.

Input so far:
Don't get a Garmin (no articulation as to why, but at least three guys have told me this).
If you can affort it, get a 5 inch screen min.
Color is great
200-300 watts is OK for SD Bay and the fringes of the Point Loma kelp beds (100 or so ft. deep)

Suggest you try the same research at your local launch ramp (plus you'll get some good ideas looking at other boats).

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Input so far:
Don't get a Garmin (no articulation as to why, but at least three guys have told me this).
The reason they didn't give a reason is that it's hearsay

Garmin had some issues with their detection algorithms 2-3 years ago but that issue has long since been resolved. Today their units rank up there with the best, if not the best in the high end CHIRP sonar market.

I would not hesitate for one moment to recommend a Garmin sounder as long as the software is up to date. It?s always a good idea to check for updates before putting any manufactures unit into service.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

The reason they didn't give a reason is that it's hearsay

Garmin had some issues with their detection algorithms 2-3 years ago but that issue has long since been resolved. Today their units rank up there with the best, if not the best in the high end CHIRP sonar market.

I would not hesitate for one moment to recommend a Garmin sounder as long as the software is up to date. It?s always a good idea to check for updates before putting any manufactures unit into service.

That makes sense. The guys who were anti-Garmin all had newer Hummingbird/Lowrance units. Probably had the Garmins of 2-3 years back.

Good to know. I seem to see more Garmin on sale than other brands here in SD.

redmann

Recruit

Thanks everyone for the response. A few more questions:

Different brands make different cone angels. Example Garmin's echo line has 60? or 120? while their Fishfinder line has 45?/10?. Hummingbird has something like 20? and 60?.

@dingbat you mention deep is over 300 and shallow is under 36, so how do you determine angels for the depths in-between?

Also, specifically referring to Garmin, one line doesn't have While but has the A-Scope feature which is live versus showing what was passed. The other line doesn't have A-Scope but has Whiteline that helps determine if the bottom is soft or hard. Which feature would you recommend if you could only get one of those features?

Thanks again!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

There is a lot to learn before you are ready to buy. Check out this site as it is pretty good for basic start.
As far as cone angle goes do not belive all the claims you see. Example Lowrance which I think is best for
shallow water under 300 feet claims their 20 degree transducer can see fish out to 60 degrees.
I believe that is not true. Transducer are normally rated at the half power point or -3DB. The half power
point of Lowrance 200 khz transducer is 20 degrees but they claim you can see 60 degrees at the -10DB
point or 1/10 the power. The problem is if you turn the sensitivy up high enough to see fish at the 1/10
the power at 60 degrees the return in the center are so strong that even plakton or air bubbles will have the
screen solid black and you will see no fish at all.
For Sallow water you want a 200 hkz transducer at 20 degrees. My old unit In salt water and
375 watts RMS power = 3000 watts PEP I could see fish down to about 200 feet. With a 8 degrees 200khz transducer
I could see fish down to about 450 feet with the same power. So in your case you want the 20 degree 200 khs
transducer. You talked about a transducer 10/45 degrees. That transducer is likely 10 degrees a 200 khz and
45 degrees at 50 khz. So 50 KHZ transducer does petrate salt water much deeper but you see less detail,
normally used for water deeper than 400 feet. I probably have you lost.
Check out Lowrance introduction site. It will probable make more since to You.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Support/Tips-and-Tutorials/Sonar-Tutorial/

Good Fishing.