fisherman 6hp........cannot win lol

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
starts up first time and runs great but due to parts missing in the tiller it will not idle due to creeping past etc
found a shop here in the uk who supplied the spring and friction block which i lubed the tiller and installed.
its now idling when i align the throttle with the start sign on the throttle arm......930 rpm
only issue is its quite stiff to turn lol

Poorboywaterfowl

Seaman Apprentice
My tiller arm was super hard to turn on my 7.5 johnson. I had an extra tiller handle laying around off a similar model evinrude and switched it out and now it turns like a knife through warm butter

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class
Look down the length of the tiller arm and see if it is strait.
My Nephew has a 1955 Johnson 5.5 that is hard to turn the handle and We
found the tiller arm is bent slightly.

Steve A W

F_R

Supreme Mariner
VERY common for the plastic bushings in the tiller arm and bevel gear at the bottom of the vertical throttle rod to tighten up. You can tell easy enough by trying to wiggle the shaft/gears by hand. Cure is to take the offending items apart and clean the corrosion out. However, in your case that may not be the problem, since you recently were having problems with it being too easy to turn.

Another common problem is the twist grip binding on the slow-start-fast indicator. Grease it.

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The markings on the tiller handle are just reference points and my not actually be at idle or even shift when indicated.
I think idle needs to be at about 700 in gear.If the idle is too high it may cause premature clutch dog wear.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
greased everything up and its better but i have nothing to compare it too
it starts first pull and when i align my markers lol it ticks over evenly and all day if i wanted it too...
put in a thermostat and cleaned all the holes leading to the head when the i removed the exhaust plate as before the head was hot to touch.
it pumps water perfectly now and head is cool to touch.
i reversed flushed it and ran the motor in a wheelie bin full of water and antifreeze mix to clean everything out.
also fitted a tachometer so i know exactly how many revs it doing at any given time