FISHER Boats?

ghostrider

Seaman
are FISHER boats durable and reliable. I have a previous post (Fisher SV 19 GT). i had hoped for more response to the post. those who did respond were very helpful and encouraging, however i would like to have more input if there is any to be had. i really appreciate this forum! :cool: :D D

SoonerSlim

Cadet
Re: FISHER Boats?

Both Bill Dance and Jimmy Houston sponsor Fisher boats. I've never owned one but they have been around a long time. I seriously looked at one but it was more than I wanted to spend at the time. From everything I've heard, these boats are all welded and are considered one of the top boats along with Lowe, Lund, Alumacraft and others. Another boat you might look at is Xpress. These are the newer name for Alumaweld, the original all-welded aluminum boat. I had one of these, a 17ft XP50 with a Yamaha 75HP motor. I had no problems at all with this boat and I loved the motor. You can find them on the web at Xpressboats.com. However, if you're going to use it for fishing for bass here's a tip. Make sure whatever aluminum boat you buy is as wide as possible at the beam. My boat was about 74". When someone was fishing on the back and I on the front, you get a lot of boat instability when moving around and/or setting the hook. I'd never consider another aluminum boat if it wasn't at least 85-90" wide. Hope this helps. The Fisher Marshhawk series boats are really impressive to look at. Another boat I liked was the Monarch. Hope this helps.<br /><br />v/r SoonerSlim

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

For a few years fisher made fiberglass bass boats. They are rockets with the right motors.

Justpickin3

Recruit

are FISHER boats durable and reliable. I have a previous post (Fisher SV 19 GT). i had hoped for more response to the post. those who did respond were very helpful and encouraging, however i would like to have more input if there is any to be had. i really appreciate this forum! :cool: :D D

I own a 16 ' hawk 2v fisher boat greatest boat in the world!:D

Expidia

Commander

I second the vote to also buy from not only a quality aluminum company but to buy one with widest beam you can afford.

My last boat (a 2006 13 foot Sylvan Alaskan Deluxe tiller model) I found when our medium sized, dog who is about 80 lbs would pace back and forth from side to side because he liked to look out of each side while underway the boat would sway from side to side and it was a pain to have to keep correcting the steering.

That boat was 66 inches wide and it does not move now when the dog paces around. My 2007 Lund is 76 inches wide and it's main selling point to me was it's wide Sport Track gunnell railing that I can attach and remove accessories without drilling any holes.

This railing also gives the boat an overall stiffer ride in choppy waters, so it feels like a bigger boat for it's size (this is a selling feature that Lund pushes as to their hull design).

But my next boat is going to be as an above poster said which is to buy a boat with at least 85 inches, because what I've found with this 76 inch beam it's very tight squeezing between the drivers seat and the passenger seat. I spend many hours on the water (was on Lake George 9 hours just yesterday) and I would like more room onboard. Wider boats are just more stable on the water.

I did my homework before I bought . . . all the boats that were mentioned above are all quality builds especially when you get into their top of the line models.

Everything else is just personal preference and all the various brands have features (the bells and whistlers or the sizzle) are designed to try and sway you buying into their boat brand.

Just don't get caught up in listening to the dribble that each dealer is going to tell you why the lines they sell are absolutely the only one you should be buying.

P.S. I recently bought my new Lund from the only Lund dealer in my area in Albany NY. This dealer also has a Marina on Lake George NY. Each year they sell their large rental fleet at the end of the year as used boats.

This year when I went up there to launch my new Lund, I noticed their whole rental fleet is now made up of new Triumph boats.

A dock worker said he thinks that Lund (which was recently bought out by Brunswick) is now trying to squeeze the Marina owner to buy all their new boats in a package deal with all accessories from Lund with Mercury outboards (because Brunswick owns Mercury along with the accessory companies). Who knows, maybe it was that they may have had a cheaper deal from Triumph???

But I also found this too to be the case at other Lund dealers. I didn't need the electronics, trailer or trolling motor, but the several Lund dealers that I went to for a quote out of my area would only sell me a full package deal.

My Lund dealer split up the package and I respect the fact that he ordered his entire rental fleet with Triumph boats this year rather then let Lund hold his feet to the fire if that was the case.

But next year if I upgrade I'm sure I'll be told how great Triumph boats are!

So my 2 cents from my experiences is the top names and lines of aluminum boats are all pretty much equal in build quality. Go with as wide a beam as you can afford. Test drive each boat and see which handles and feels right by you!

The first boat I looked at last March when I went boat shopping was the Alumacraft 145. This is definitely a really nice boat but when I saw it side by side next to the Lund 1425 Classic I immediately saw big differences but that's why there was a $3500 cost difference.

Do your homework and enjoy which ever one you finally choose :D

Fisher makes quality boats and they are really nice looking rigs, they aways turn my head when one cruises by me (but so does a blonde in a bikini :cool:)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have an older "original fisher" before they were bought out by tracker marine. Mine is all aluminum..... aluminum decks too which equals no floor rot. Mine is the SV 18 GT DC. It is stable for it's size but lacks rod storage. I have been looging at the xpress line recently. The "newer fisher" has wood decks.

I would endorse an older fisher but the newer ones are bass trackers by birth abd you MUST pay attention to the wood rot.

artherm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Fisher had a outstanding aluminum boat line. I was all set to buy one, when they sold out to one of the mega boat companies. Everything has changed now in my opinion to one of the cookie cutter boats......