Fisher Aluminum 18'3" center console

eyedoc

Cadet
Does anyone know anything about this boat. Looks sturdy and well made. They're asking $3,600 with trailer, fishfinder, salt water trolling motor, 115hp Mariner engine. Here are some pictures of it.....and thanks for the help.

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

Re: Fisher Aluminum 18'3" center console

Looks like a great boat for that price, if the motor works well. I saw the Florida plates so I would personally be wary of the salt water - specifically how well it was maintained and flushed.

peleg

Cadet
Re: Fisher Aluminum 18'3" center console

As was mentioned, check the condition of the engine and also the wiring. I have a very similar model to that, an SV18-CC in a 1986 model.

One thing about the boat is that they are extremely well made heavy aluminum boats. At worse case the scrap price of aluminum would get you some of your money back.

You didn't mention how old that boat is, but some things I found on mine when I got it that you may want to be aware of are:

1. The wiring was in cruddy shape and mostly had to be replaced (not something to be afraid of, just check it out).

2. The fuel vent line had dry rotted and would leak fuel inside the boat if you filled it all the way up. This isn't something you can check for, but just try to make sure the lines that you can see seem to be in good shape. I'm sure in my case it was just a matter of them being 21 years old. However if you did have to replace the actual fuel line to the tank I believe it would be an enormous undertaking as it runs under cockpit sole to the fuel tank under the console floor. I dont' think it can be reached without removing the console and flooring.

3. I had a problem with saltwater intrusion into the steering cable (my fault) which has really fouled up the steering.

4. I couldn't see in your pictures, but on mine, if you look in the splashwell there are two short aluminum struts which tie the transom to the forward part of the splashwell. On mine the torquing of the motor on the transom is causing the flanges on those struts to start splitting. Even this doens't seem to be a big issue, and I still use it without fear. However, mine has a 70HP and so that boat could possibly put more torque on the transom than mine has experienced.

I'm not trying to sway your decision one way or the other. It is just a few things to be aware of.

What's funny is that my wife's granddad bought our boat new 22 years ago. It cost slightly over five thousand dollars. Inflation stinks.