Fish Finder question

Lexington

Cadet
Is there really a huge difference in the lower end fish finders? I have seen new ones such as a Bottom Line 1100 model for $60 and the price goes up from there up to about $170 for a comparable model (similar functions). What the difference besides the brand?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fish Finder question

Apart from the obvious features like screen size/pixels, temp sensor, etc, The biggest differences seem to be in ease of use and type of transducer(8, 20, 60 degrees of vision).<br /><br />My family has 4 Eagles and one Vexilar. We threw away 2 Hummingbirds that were acting up. <br /><br />Some of the new Matrix units also have a real time "flasher" unit built into them.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Lexington<br />Bottom line is you get what you pay for. It really depends on how you are going to use the unit. Shallow water under 30, then look for screen size, if it has a temp sensor. Lots of good units for shallow fresh water and in shallow water pixel count not that important. Some transducer do better at higher speeds than others. <br /><br />As you move up into better units get more features. Voltage monitor, bottom zoom, larger screen with more pixel, more power so will see bottom deeper, Gray or White line so can see fish laying on the bottom, temp sensor, Shallow water alarm, fish alarm, surface clutter control.<br /><br />When you move into units for Salt water then need dual frequency and much more power, higher pixel count so you can see fish in deeper water.<br /><br />For me a fisherman both salt and fresh water I would not even look at bottom end line. I think if you take care of unit will last a very long time, my 1985 unit still works perfect but I remove from the boat and take it inside after each trip.<br /><br />Check out the web site tutor below and find the feature you want they shop for that and find your best price. When checking how deep they are supposed to work I would divide the number by 3 or 4 if you want to see fish as they all over rate depth. Sure with perfect condition you may see bottom at rated depth but not even see a whale.<br /><br /> http://www.lowrance.com/Tutorials/Sonar/sonar_tutorial_01.asp

Dog1Leg

Cadet

Hi Lexington. Thanks for asking the question, as I've thought the same thing myself. I thank you for the web site also 'Boatist'.<br /><br />Dog1Leg

Josh James

Cadet

I bought a lowrance x-91 a year ago and am very happy with it. I payed between 300 and 400 I can't remember but it does come out every trip. So in purchasing one look for a mount that is easy to remove. I used the micro ram mount with mine and it is quick to install and quick to remove. I've also been told to run off a seperate Battery with your fish finder to elimate any interference with the rest of your electronics. How much this effects it I can't be for certain but it does help with power bumps caused by other electronics.